3Com 905C-TX-M - Calciumlike deposit tastes like acid

OdinsDream

[H]ard|Gawd
So this is one of my two network cards in the computer. I've been having some weird trouble with it lately, the internet connection just dropping out. I thought it might be an issue with the ground my computer uses and the ground used on the base station/router. They're likely not the same.

It all happened when I plugged in the network cable and the entire computer froze. I checked the network lights, they were good, so I rebooted. I've been using the computer for weeks since then, downloading things, uploading things. Last night I lost the connection altogether, and ended up taking the card out and switching to the other.

On the card I took out, there's white calcium-like residue on the 2nd largest chip near the RJ45 jack. It's labelled BEL. The residue seems to originate from three pins, two on one side, one on the other, and then covers the top of the chip. The residue tastes like acid. What's this stuff, and I'm assuming it's not worth repairing?

could be corrosion or a short that is burning the chip....sounds like replacement time

WTF WHY DID YOU TASTE IT!!?

I'd tell you why but I've lost all of my short term memory and my vision is blkurry.,.

OdinsDream said:
I'd tell you why but I've lost all of my short term memory and my vision is blkurry.,.

I'm sorry, but you've just won my personal "worlds dummest man" contest :eek:

Chemicals such as Resin and other stuff that are contained on boards should never be tasted. You remind me of those people who drink thier juice out of scientific jars :rolleyes:

lol....I needed a good laugh today. Thanks!

btw, I wouldn't have tasted it...but I usually smell everything (people say that's wierd enough).

in a couple years when you have an unexplainable twitch, just think back to this very incident and you'll find the answer. :p

nst6563 said:
lol....I needed a good laugh today. Thanks!

btw, I wouldn't have tasted it...but I usually smell everything (people say that's wierd enough).

in a couple years when you have an unexplainable twitch, just think back to this very incident and you'll find the answer. :p

LOL

Replace it... dont Taste it :)

ROFLMAOLOLOLOLOLOLLL!!!!1!1one

*ahem*, yea, replace it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've been rendered sterile, now.

Back