3Com 3300 on Cisco VLAN

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
Here at work we have several switch closets with Cisco 3550 layer 3 switches in each of them. They are all tied down to a 3550 fiber switch in our server room. We have several VLANs setup, basically one per closet. We have a warehouse building with just a handfull of computers behind the main building. It is currenttly on our older 1 broadcast domain network that we are trying to get rid of. There is a single fiber run out to this building. Now I can't justify the cost of buying a new 3550 series switch for this area, so I was wondering if it is possible to use a 3com 3300 switch with a fiber module with our current setup? As far as I can tell the switch supports VLANs but I am not sure how to configure it so it will work with the cisco 3550 equipment.

if anyone has any experience with this, help would be great. Thanks!

I think it will work, if I remember correctly the 3com will recognize the VLAN tags, it's some kind of standard for VLAN's.

I think, I could be wrong, it's been a while.

valve1138 said:
I think it will work, if I remember correctly the 3com will recognize the VLAN tags, it's some kind of standard for VLAN's.

I think, I could be wrong, it's been a while.

i'm not sure if the 3300 series supports layer 3 VLANs or not. I plugged it in and it didnt seem to recognize anything. I am not real familar with 3 come console commands though.

BuGaLoU said:
i'm not sure if the 3300 series supports layer 3 VLANs or not. I plugged it in and it didnt seem to recognize anything. I am not real familar with 3 come console commands though.

There's a web management console for it, as well as a serial port on the back to manage it. They're pretty easy to manage as well. Get into it and check it out, there should be a Vlan option somewhere.

You should be trunking (802.1Q) to all of your IDFs, and keeping the default/native VLAN as 1 (for all untagged traffic) and then create a new VLAN per closet (i.e. VLAN 2 for this closet, VLAN3 for the next, if that's how youre doing it) and so on.

now, im not sure if the 3300 3com supports 802.1q, if it doesnt, then do this.

keep all ports on the 3300 on VLAN 1 (default VLAN)
including the fiber uplink

on the core side, make that port an access (non trunked port) and just make it a portmember of whichever VLAN you want those clients out there to be on.

SYN ACK said:
You should be trunking (802.1Q) to all of your IDFs, and keeping the default/native VLAN as 1 (for all untagged traffic) and then create a new VLAN per closet (i.e. VLAN 2 for this closet, VLAN3 for the next, if that's how youre doing it) and so on.

now, im not sure if the 3300 3com supports 802.1q, if it doesnt, then do this.

The 3Com 3300 switch supports 802.1Q VLANs. It should work just fine.

then made the fiber uplink port TRUNK (802.1Q is probably the only tagging it supports)
make sure the cisco is doing 802.1Q
native / default VLAN as 1

create the new vlan (VLAN 6 for example) on the 3300
remove all ports from VLAN 1 (except the fiber port)
add all ports into VLAN 6 (including the fiber port)

connect the link.

Back