3930k or 4940k?

kaigne

n00b
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
37
I'm trying to avoid buyer's remorse with going with one over the other. It seems the 4930k, from what I gather, is a minimal increase in performance over the 3930k(hell even compared to the 4960x). I understand the 4930k hasn't been officially released yet (a couple days?), and no real world benchmarks have been done, but almost ready to pull the trigger on going 3930 with a sale price of $539(sale ends today). I've seen the price of the 4930k rumored as low as $555 up to about $650. At $555, I'm willing to go the route of 4930. However, I just can't seem to justify $600+ on what looks to be a mediocre cpu when the 3930k is a proven beast. Should I wait around a few days for the 4930k or convince myself the 3930k is the way to go?
 
I'd say go ahead and wait until the 4930K releases in the next few days and if nothing else maybe we'll see a reduction in prices for the 3930K--that's what I'm going to do. That is a decent sale price for the 3930 but the real buyer's remorse could be if you buy it now and it does drop in price after the 4930 comes out. Of course, Intel can do what it wants with prices so nothing is for certain.
 
4930K looks to be around $579.99 at Newegg. Unless you can get the 3930K for less than $500 I wouldn't go that route. You'll lose more in resale value and power consumption.
 
3930k here, I'm not jealous. 4930k benchmarks don't make it worth it :D
 
I wish someone would try overclocking a 4820k to see if it overclocks any better than its 6 core brothers.
 
3930k here, I'm not jealous. 4930k benchmarks don't make it worth it :D


Same. I spent an obscene (2.5K) on my first ever Enthusiast Level build and I thought about waiting a couple days, but it really wasn't worth it to me. Especially nothing a small OC can't balance out (and I mean small). It feels very weird to buy "older" parts knowing the newer one is just around the corner, but I blame Intel for not selling IVB-E to people like me. It was a waste of waiting nearly two years.

If you can hold off then why not, but we already know the 4930K part is more of a yawn then a on-the-fence sort of ordeal.

I pulled the trigger Saturday and I have NO REGRETS! My one YOLO moment on this earth lol.

[EDIT] Plus Newegg had a $30 promo code off the 3930K when I bought mine and knowing the 4930K will probably be a good chunk higher than the usual SB-E part that was just more of an incentive for myself.
 
I'm happy with my current 3930k running 4700 @ 1.350V, although Ivy-E is tempting. If I could know for sure I could get one that does the same clocks I would jump at it but it seems like most wont.
 
Yeah I knew the benchmarks weren't gonna sell it for me already seeing the how well a3930k did up against a 4960x. I saw the sale on the egg which prompted my whole dilemma in the first place. Microcenter had these for 499 a few weeks ago but no longer have them in stock...or perhaps I would have already bought a 3930k. While I nearly pulled the trigger on the promo yesterday, I feel ok with spending an extra $40 on the 4930k--I just hope it doesn't turn out to be worse than a 3930k.
 
If you're buying new today, obviously 4930K, if you already have a 3930K the 4930K seems totally pointless. Especially if you overclock as IB-E seems to clock a little lower than SB-E did, negating its IPC advantage after overclocking is accounted for.
 
Do we anticipate any significant price drops for 3930K? Also, do we anticipate Microcenter doing its usual undercutting of the market with the 4930K?
 
Buddy of mine sent me this 5 days ago from his microcenter. They were pushing to move their SB-E stock.
i7 3820 - 200
i7 3930K - 450
i7 3970X - 900
i7 4820K - 250
i7 4930K - 550
i7 4960X -1050
 
Buddy of mine sent me this 5 days ago from his microcenter. They were pushing to move their SB-E stock.
i7 3820 - 200
i7 3930K - 450
i7 3970X - 900
i7 4820K - 250
i7 4930K - 550
i7 4960X -1050

plus $50 off when you buy a motherboard. That 4820 for $250 seems great to me
 
Back
Top