360, nat setup without security risk ?

kinson

Gawd
For all you NETWORKING guru's out there...

I need some help, when it comes to this topic I'm a little basic, nothing special...

I have a sonicwall router pro 2040. I have read a few places that it is possible to set the NAT to open when certain IP addresses on the network access the internet. I don't know if this is true, but am wondering if it is possible. Something, it opens the NAT for the ports that the 360 require to play online games.

I could really really use some help on this as I can not play all my games, because my father, the network freak that he is, apparently wants me to learn all this stuff. So this is my source for knowledge :p

Afaik a 360 doesnt require a open'd network port to play games online anyway.

Something not working sounds like something being blocked, not needing a port.

no, its not xbox in general, its certain games.... If you ever get the chance to read up on Test Drive Unlimited you will see that it requires an "Open" or at least moderated NAT. Strict prohibits any connection, as the game requires an incoming connection, a "bubble' as they call it to keep as many players on the server as possible with minimal lag.

You also need the NAT open to host games and/or chats and so on with the console.

Is setting a static IP for the xbox 360, and then using the router to allow open ports for ONLY that IP a good way of getting open NAT settings ? And does that actually work ? I know nothing about sonicwall, we just got the router, he's been working on them forever. I called their tech support but they're a bunch of dicks and wouldn't help me because I don't "own" the router. What a bunch of bull shit.

Is setting a static IP for the xbox 360, and then using the router to allow open ports for ONLY that IP a good way of getting open NAT settings ? And does that actually work ? I know nothing about sonicwall, we just got the router, he's been working on them forever. I called their tech support but they're a bunch of dicks and wouldn't help me because I don't "own" the router. What a bunch of bull shit.

It depends on the router...the 360's are touchy with some routers...you'll see them work fine with most, but every now and then...when you attempt to "host a game", even when opening/forwarding the correct ports..or even DMZ'ing the XBox, it will still spit out a NAT error.

it doesnt matter, I did a shit load of research for nothing... He still is saying no... He's afraid someones going to trash our network through the xbox... Since we can only set up one DMZ, and its being used, lotta good it does... Only way he'll set it up is if I give him a grand to buy a new router... Fun shit...

Now like I said, I'm just a goob at this stuff. I only do the research when I need to. We have ONE port on the router that will allow dmz "x2". We're using it for wireless, why I don't know. I don't know exactly how that works, I can't really find anything on this particular router, and as I said, their support sucks. If its possible to setup multiple static IP's to one dmz port, someone let me know...

Back