360 directly to pc?

lagos

Weaksauce
i have a pc with a wifi card (for net access), and a normal lan card (unused) . can i run a cable directly from an xbox360, to the pc, and have the 360 share the internet connection through the pc?

You would have to turn on internet connection sharing, and I would think you would need a crossover cable too to get it to work.

Yup you do an ICS share on your wireless card and plug the cat 5 cable into the 360 and your PC, and bam xbox 360 can access live without the need for a crappy 80$ Microsoft wireless card.

thanks guys, ill try it tonight. hopefully i dont need a crossover cable to make it work.

so i connected the 360 directly to the pc using a normal cat5 cable. then i enabled internet connection sharing on the wireless nextwork card. the 360 gets an ip address, but fails at the log on to xboxlive test, within the console.

is there anything else i need to do to get it to work? it seems like there is a port that is not open, causing the problem.

Unless both the 360's LAN port and the NIC are "auto sensing", you probably just need a crossover cable to get it working.

i know the 360 is autosensing, but im not sure about the nic. if that was the case, would i even be able to obtain an IP address for the 360, like im able to do now?

so, i went out and bought a crossover cable, thinking that it would help fix my issue. hooked it up, but im still having the same problem. the 360 will pass all the diagnostic tests, but fail at the "xboxlive" test. it does seem to be getting and IP address, but it just wont log onto xbox live. any ideas? it almost seems like there is a closed port somewhere, or something along those lines thats causing the problem. help!!!

ICS probably isn't forwarding the ports the 360 needs. Even though ICS should use NAT... so it really shouldn't have a problem. But if you want to do this yourself, right-click on your network connection, go to properties, click on the advanced tab, and then the settings button. Then add the ports you need to forward.

Here are the ports xbox live wants:

• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074

For me, a cheap router is really the best way to go. Enable UPNP, and you're good to go.

You mentioned you get internet via wifi... does this connect through a router? If so, is it forwarding the correct ports, have NAT enabled, and/or UPNP?

good question. im not exactly sure how to check that. im using a standard WRT54G router, and i know that, in the past, when the 360 was connected directly to the router, everything worked... so i guess that would mean the correct ports were open on the router, right?

I can confirm that this does work, it is how I have my 360 connected to the internet/live. I also have a WRT54G router. I did not have to change anything other than setting up ICS for my wireless and just plugged in a crossover cable from my computer to the 360. If you have not already, I would try disabling ICS and re-enabling it. Also, check to make sure that the Xbox is set to obtain an IP address automatically. Other than that, you have me stumped. :confused:

i connected the 360 to a laptop i have, and just enabled ICS. it worked perfectly. so the problem is in the pc im trying to use.

Back