350w psu enough?

oROEchimaru

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 1, 2004
Messages
4,662
I haven't had to many freezes (maybe once a month) , but just am wondering if I'm underpowring my system.

amd642800 at 3000 model speed
agp 6200 geforce card
2x512mb 3200 ddr
1 sata 7200 drive (160gig)
1 ide 7200 drive (160gig)
cd burner
dvd burner
optical mouse
ps2 keyboard
7.1 mystique ddl sound card

I have a 350W enermax psu, which seems to have good ratings. Do you think swicthing to a 430w cpu will affect my performance? i bought this 2 years ago.

enermax: ENERMAX 350W Silent Power Supply EG365P
Output: +3.3V@32A;+5V@32A;-5V@1A;+12V@26A;-12V@1A;+5VSB@2.2A
 
With that in mind, the 17A rating on that 350W PSU is barely adequate for a low- to mid- range rig.
 
needmorecarnitine said:

That's probably because you have an AGP-based system, not a PCI-Express system. You might be able to get away with a moderate video card upgrade with that AGP system of yours. But once you get a PCI-Express system with an upper-range graphics card, especially in SLI, you will have to get a beefier supply: A single GeForce 7800GT card requires a PSU which delivers at least 26A combined on the +12V rail (34A with dual cards in SLI) - but your 350W Enermax PSU is only rated at 17A for the +12V rail. (The 26A claim for that PSU is incorrect for that model.)
 
E4g1e said:
That's probably because you have an AGP-based system, not a PCI-Express system. You might be able to get away with a moderate video card upgrade with that AGP system of yours. But once you get a PCI-Express system with an upper-range graphics card, especially in SLI, you will have to get a beefier supply: A single GeForce 7800GT card requires a PSU which delivers at least 26A combined on the +12V rail (34A with dual cards in SLI) - but your 350W Enermax PSU is only rated at 17A for the +12V rail. (The 26A claim for that PSU is incorrect for that model.)

I've seen "upper range" agp cards that draw about as much power as "upper range" PCI-E cards

Just because you have a PCI-E connector does not mean that you computer becomes a lot more inefficient

and I don't have a 350W Enermax PSU
 
E4g1e said:
A single GeForce 7800GT card requires a PSU which delivers at least 26A combined on the +12V rail (34A with dual cards in SLI) -

and this is incorrect also. Requires suggests that it won't work without it. That is different from a manufacturer's recommendation
 
needmorecarnitine said:
and this is incorrect also. Requires suggests that it won't work without it. That is different from a manufacturer's recommendation
nVidia has changed their recommendations at least 3 times! :rolleyes:

+12V@26A for non-SLI & +12V@34A for SLI was their highest recommendation &
the one they first used for SLI Certification.

Given that [H]ard members often demand top performance & OC, these are IMO the proper recommendations.

Dave ;)
 
I don't see anything inherently wrong with using a larger powersupply than necessary (not talking about efficiency, just saying I don't think it will harm anything) but that is different than saying that something requires a certain size powersupply when there is no basis for that claim in reality
 
Way more than enough with that card and processor you have.

I only wish someone had told me about that earlier... I've got a 600w power supply and I don't think my system has ever demanded more than half that amount =S


At least it was cheap... $50CDN.
 
noobman said:
Way more than enough with that card and processor you have.

I only wish someone had told me about that earlier... I've got a 600w power supply and I don't think my system has ever demanded more than half that amount =S


At least it was cheap... $50CDN.
Wattage isn't the issue, the +12V amperage is. ;)
 
Back
Top