£340 + stress

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I am so angry and mad...

I just spent £340 on an athlon 3500+ winchester and a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboard 939.

I fitted it all together but to my shock, my BIOS is old and doesnt recognize my processor and the computer just displayed a black screen. I knew it might do this so I had a backup plan.... The day before the stuff came to my house, I put the latest bios onto disk so just incase the board does have an old bios, i could simply update it and have a working computer.

So when i found out my board had an old bios version, i then said to myself "oh crap... im screwed..." What i didnt think about was i need a processor to boot the pc up and i need a processor to update the bios. Since my processor doesnt work with this motherboard because of the old BIOS, i had no way of updating it.

So now the computer is sitting in a computer shop and I have to pay about £30 extra for them to fix it.

Was i right to take it to the shop? What im guessing they will do is stick a newcastle core cpu in it, update the bios using that and then stick my winchester back in.

I suppose you could argue with the vendor that the motherboard wasn't fit for the purpose for which it was advertised. I.e. you put a socket 939 processor in a board advertised as being socket 939, without indication that it would fail with certain 939 CPUs.

Back