3.1 vs 5.1?

Mangudai

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
343
I mainly play games and listen to music and watch movies as well. Generally I use headphones but when I don't, I still want to be able to have a decent sense of position (FPS's). I'm currently interested in the Swans D1080MKII but wasn't sure what to choose as a center. If I went with this setup I would more than likely go for a Dayton 100 for the sub. What I wanted to know is, would going 5.1 make a noticeable difference in movies and games if you are playing them in a fairly confided space?
 
I wouldnt have less than 5.1 room audio no matter what size my room.
Indispensable imho.
 
Honestly, there is very limited information on the surrounds. They're almost useless in most of today's recordings (thank lazy/horrible sound engineers). I use 3.1 for my computers, but I do actually have 7.1 in my theater. The 4 surrounds are nearly unutilized :(
 
I, too, am unimpressed with surround sound. In fact, I got rid of my 7.1 home theater (including my 56" laser DLP). Thank you Craig's List. ;)

I now run a sweet 3.1 audio rig with my PC + Digital/HD/DVR cable box and it sounds fantastic. I don't miss the surrounds at all. I just want to get a 30" LCD (possibly a 37" 1080p LCD) and I'll be set.
 
You at least need a 40" LCD to really get the full potential out of a 1080p set. I do understand what you're saying though. To each his own.
 
5.1 makes an enormous difference in movies and games, and even television (most of the time). I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

The amount of space doesn't really matter as long as theres room enough to position the speakers properly.
 
You at least need a 40" LCD to really get the full potential out of a 1080p set. I do understand what you're saying though. To each his own.

Not when you're using it as a computer monitor. Even 32" 720p LCDs as monitors look like shit.
 
You at least need a 40" LCD to really get the full potential out of a 1080p set. I do understand what you're saying though. To each his own.

It depends on your distance and your eyesight. Nothing more, nothing less. It isn't something a blanket statement will cover.
 
i think quality 2.1 > low end 5.1

but quality 5.1/7.1 is of course nicer.
 
Not when you're using it as a computer monitor. Even 32" 720p LCDs as monitors look like shit.
Reply With Quote

tend to post when tired. he did say he was using it as monitor. overlooked that.
 
Back
Top