2x512mb or 2x1gb

Djee

n00b
Im using my computer for games... Should i get 2x512mb(with low latency) or 2x1gb(value memory) ? And what brand is the best choice corsair, OCZ or ...?

Djee....

Supposedly 1 gig is the sweet spot for now. Some newer games like BF2 are starting to push this up to two, though. That being said, you might post your system specs as it will help folks make recommendations. Definitely need to know your motherboard, processor, etc.

If you do any significant stuff on your system, which I'd assume you do since your on here... I'd go 1gig atleast... makes nice difference over 512

get 2x1gb of value. if you have an a64, the higher timings will not be noticable, except in benches

(cf)Eclipse said:
get 2x1gb of value. if you have an a64, the higher timings will not be noticable, except in benches

What higher timings? I'm debating on getting two more 512 modules.

4x 512 is may not be a good thing as I believe there is still trouble with the memory controller on the AMD's not handling 4 sticks at 1T timings. If you want to go for 2 gig then I'd pick up some 2x1gig of the OCZ variety. I'd listen to Eclipse... ;)...and take a peek at the memory faq.

well you said a 2x512mb set of low latency sticks.. which means low timings.
value is generally "high latency" meaning higher timings.
the difference between the low and high timings will not be noticable.

and yes. 4x512mb will most likely mean 2T command rate (10-15% latency hit).. even with that, it's not a significant hit, but it's bigger than comparing 2-2-2 to 3-3-3 :p

Opps, I didnt read closly, "get 2x1gb of value". I thought you meant there was some timing issue when using any 2x1gb. Nevermind.
Anyway. I thought the revision E is suppose to fix the DDR400 1T problem when using 4 banks.

(cf)Eclipse said:
well you said a 2x512mb set of low latency sticks.. which means low timings.
value is generally "high latency" meaning higher timings.
the difference between the low and high timings will not be noticable.

and yes. 4x512mb will most likely mean 2T command rate (10-15% latency hit).. even with that, it's not a significant hit, but it's bigger than comparing 2-2-2 to 3-3-3 :p

Man, people talk about everything from sitcoms to theoretical physics and I am right there, but folks start talking RAM timings and my eyes cross and I crap my pants. :p
It's so nice to have someone around that understands this stuff.

GlimmerMan said:
Anyway. I thought the revision E is suppose to fix the DDR400 1T problem when using 4 banks.
not quite. it was a rumor that turned out to be somewhat true..

with the older cores, 4 Double Sided sticks (8 banks ;)) meant a "stock" speed of 166mhz and 2T command rate
now with revE (venice, san diego are the major ones), it's 200mhz and 2T
i do believe there are a few people who could do 1T with 4 double sided sticks in, but it seems to be a rare occurance

and H8, i'm glad you understood that :D do you have a better idea of what you're aiming for now as far as ram goes? :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
and H8, i'm glad you understood that :D do you have a better idea of what you're aiming for now as far as ram goes? :cool:

:p I don't know if you're asking Djee or me, but I think I am going to pick up the OCZ 2 gig kit to go with my ASUS board. I am sure it would be really smokin with a DFI, but I think I'll be satisfied. I'm just retarded with too much saved to spend on the PC... ;) ...

heh, that probably was kinda confusing.. i guess it was meant for both of you ;) :D

My computer Specs.
MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum
MSI 6800 128mo PCI-E
AMD 64 3500+ (venice core)

From my experience with my recent purchase of the Venice 3200+, 1T with 4 sticks will be hard to get. I bought an additional 2x512 at the same time mainly for BF2. My rig wouldn't boot until changing to 2T and raising my 2-3-3-6 timings to 2.5-4-4-7. 4 sticks also won't overclock worth a crap which to me is more fun than BF2. :D I think I will RMA these if I can and just eat the 15% restock fee.

(cf)Eclipse said:
not quite. it was a rumor that turned out to be somewhat true..

with the older cores, 4 Double Sided sticks (8 banks ;)) meant a "stock" speed of 166mhz and 2T command rate
now with revE (venice, san diego are the major ones), it's 200mhz and 2T
i do believe there are a few people who could do 1T with 4 double sided sticks in, but it seems to be a rare occurance

Thanks. You just made my decision easier. Since I'm not an extreme OCer, low latency ram is important to me. So I won't be adding more memory soon. I'll have to figure some other way to deal with the memory hog that is BF2.

hehe, I know what that link is. It's either 1gb crucial or 512mb crucial. We're talking about 2gb, so they're 1gb chips... :D

Back