2x 7200rpm in raid or 1 Raptor?

topslop1

2[H]4U
I'm thinking about setting up 2 harddrives in raid 0. First off I'm not sure what is the fastest and all so I'm going to ask some questions.

What is the speed of 2 7200rpm SATAs in raid 0?

What is the speed of a 36 gig raptor?

What is the speed of a 76 gig raptor? ( the newer one)

And finally what is the speed of 2 raptors in raid?

Read/Write speeds and access time is what I'm concerned with.

What it really comes down to is setting up either 2 7200rpm SATAs in Raid 0 or a single 76 gig raptor harddrive. Not sure on the speed differences but this what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks all.

Originally posted by topslop1
Read/Write speeds and access time is what I'm concerned with.
Okay, which of these is more important to you? Both solutions offer roughly similar read/write performance but the Raptor has much better access times. No RAID combination will improve access times. What shortcomings are you trying to rectify?

I'd go with the Raptor Drives.

Unless you need the burst transfer rates to be high (ie. large files transfers, etc), the lower access time + tagged command queueing on the Raptor drive is better :)

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

The TCQ does nothing for the Raptors at this point. There is no controller support for it, for one. Secondly, it's intended for increased performance in multi-user applications, if it did work :rolleyes:

Once we get some controllers that support TQC those drives will REALLY work well (they already work VERY well for a non-SCSI based solution).

I'd still choose the newer Raptor over a 2x IDE Raid.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Did you read my second point? TCQ is designed for multi-user applications, in other words, server operation. I haven't heard of anyone using the Raptors for servers because they perform poorly at it.

Originally posted by Stanley Pain
I'd still choose the newer Raptor over a 2x IDE Raid.
Fair enough. I was just commenting on your TCQ claim, not trying to bring this thread off topic. Cheers.

Back