2TB WD Elements External Drive $69.99 @ Staples

I got my 5 today. Spectacular deal for those who got in.

Can't beat 1 day shipping from warehouse either.

Staples gets an A+ if you ask me. They can't be expected to have enough stock for everyone.

The drive by itself, out of the case, should still have valid warranties on them. I have sent in hard drives for RMA that were taken out of external cases and notebooks and their warranties were honored by the companies.

Hopefully, this will be the case with these WD's.

Not in my experience with WD. Their enclosures have unique serial numbers and the drive has another unique serial number. WD will not warranty the hard drive from an external case without the accompanying case and its serial number. You can confirm this when verifying warranty status at their website's support section.

Be advised of many WD drives being sold at discount on ebay that are pulled from enclosures.. they have no warranty from WD even if they are new. Hence, always ask for serial numbers to verify.

I got my 2 today. They're both WD20EARS which is Caviar Green (5400 RPM, 64 MB Cache)

Got both my HDD and keyboard (filler) in the mail too. According to the bottom of the package, it has NESN and it's from Thailand. Bugger.

I think I'm going to do the dirty deed and buy a 2TB drive at Target that has the Caviar Black and then return it the next day with my Green.

Got both my HDD and keyboard (filler) in the mail too. According to the bottom of the package, it has NESN and it's from Thailand. Bugger.

I think I'm going to do the dirty deed and buy a 2TB drive at Target that has the Caviar Black and then return it the next day with my Green.

well if you're gonna do that why don't you just throw in an old 100gb sata drive :p

I got one cancellation notice for one order from email, but still nothing on the other order. It still shows up as 0.00 and no info given. I wonder if they are trying to fullfill some or whats going on...

You can get in trouble for mentioning that here, you know?
I've seen people literally dancing around a forum ban on other sites by doing a bait and switch (buy new item, put older identical dead item in box for refund...)

If you're going to do something illegal, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!

well if you're gonna do that why don't you just throw in an old 100gb sata drive :p

I would completely LAUGH out loud if the person at Target knew about these forums and tried to open the drive while you were returning it, to check and saw a 100 GB sata drive in there...and then the expression on the buyer's face when he realized what was about to happen....

Say hello to a date with bubba....

I just got mine yesterday and it is sadly a green drive WD20EARS. I would use it, but I already received two Samsung 2TB F4 drives. If anyone would like just the drive make me an offer. I would like to keep the external enclosure for myself.

Last edited:
So... The green drives still have 3 years warranty on the drive itself right? So, essentially, if you had to RMA, if you did just the drive itself, it would have a 3 year?

So... The green drives still have 3 years warranty on the drive itself right? So, essentially, if you had to RMA, if you did just the drive itself, it would have a 3 year?

I checked and it looks like they only have the 1 year on Western Digital's warranty check, which is pretty bs honestly. It is the same drive in an external enclosure, but I guess I can see that it gets moved around a lot more than an internal.

Woot it came. now time to look at the box id..

How do i know if it is black or not without opening them?

Nm, darn none of them are the black ones all from thailand

Last edited:
Back