2600k Dead?

HardTech

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
72
I got another thread going in the general area, so im not going to re-post that here. But what would cause a 2600k to suddenly die? It wasnt OC'ed and was being cooled very well. It has never overheated, and was sitting at 107F at the time of death. It was 14 months old.

It did last long enough oddly to memory dump before death. Also since I might as well ask this question. What is Intels warranty process, as I am sure someone here has used it.
 
Newegg has quoted 3 year limited warranty on parts and labor, however honestly unless being extremely abused I've never actually had a CPU die on me. Mobo's yes CPU's not so much.
 
Well sometimes things just die. As far as I know with intel you fill out a warranty claim online or call them and you mail them the cpu and the stock heatsink. As far as I have been told they won't even touch it warranty wise without the stock heatsink being shipped to them.
 
I had a 2600K die on me a few months into operation granted I was overclocking. I was using an AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3 motherboard doing some overclocking although I wasn't even pushing what you'd consider to be too much voltage. When my system rebooted I got no signal. In all the years I've been building PC's I've only had one other processor; a Pentium D 820 die on me. I pretty much ruled out the processor being the problem so I purchased a MSI P67 mobo locally and when I installed my GPU and processor I still couldn't get signal to the monitor.

I returned/exchanged the MSI mobo for a 1155 Sandy Pentium chip to confirm my suspicions that my CPU had died and sure enough I was able to POST on my AsRock mobo. The RMA process to Intel was pretty painless and the turnaround was about two and a half weeks. The Sandy Pentium held me over for that time and when I got my 2600K back I sold it for $5 less than I bought it for :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top