2600k->3570k

  • Thread starter Deleted member 210069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 210069

Guest
I have a dog of a chip 2600k (1.375 vcore with high LLC to get 4.5 GHz stable).

If I had the opportunity to essentially trade this for a 3570k would you guys take it?

I am a 24/7 overclock type guy. For example I ran my q6600 for 3.5 years at 3.2 GHz (1.4v).

I like to overclock, but keep it relatively safe and cool. I really do not feel comfortable taking my 2600k above 4.4 due to the fact that even that needs 1.35v with high LLC.

Edit: I am a gamer and VM user (no more than 3 VMs at a time...each of them hardly using any load unless I am in the VM doing some tasks). So the main thing I lose is HT and 2MB L3 cache. I am not sure how much that will affect my performance versus the IPC of IB.

I am also worried about IB temps.
 
Keep the 2600k. The amount of worrying people are doing over this tock is amazing to me.
 
The way I see it is a SB will overclock much higher with less heat given today's proper cooling that's already out. Higher clock + Less heat w/o waiting for a specialized cooler to get equal results > Ivy Bridge as of today.

I say keep the SB clocked as it is. If the temperatures are solid and you like the performance than call it a day. You already get a pretty nice jump from default SB to > 4.4 OC.

I just don't see it in most peoples interest to go from SB > IB, it really doesn't make sense IMO. I'd hold out and sell that i7-2600k when Haswell comes out. Now that SHOULD be a tick worth waiting for, that is if the end of the world doesn't come before then.
 
Now that SHOULD be a tick worth waiting for, that is if the end of the world doesn't come before then.

iEdEQ.jpg
 
My point was is that it will cost be adsolutely nothing other than taking my CPU out to get this pretty much.

I will be nearly doing that anyway because my Noctua is coming tomorrow.

Essentially, my question should have been...if someone held out a 2600k and 3570k and told you to pick one for free, which one would you take.

Most people compare 2500k to 3570k. As a gamer/light VM user, does the IPC (and the fact that MY SB is a crappy overclocker), trump the 2mb cache and hyperthreading?
 
I'm in the exact same situation, except my chip isn't too bad and I get to settle on which one after using both. I don't know what to tell you as it's a tough decision, but my guess is most people on [H] are going to recommend the 2600k. How soon do you have to make the decision???
 
I'm in the exact same situation, except my chip isn't too bad and I get to settle on which one after using both. I don't know what to tell you as it's a tough decision, but my guess is most people on [H] are going to recommend the 2600k. How soon do you have to make the decision???

Tonight :D

Edit: I guess I can hold it off until Friday.
 
My point was is that it will cost be adsolutely nothing other than taking my CPU out to get this pretty much.

I will be nearly doing that anyway because my Noctua is coming tomorrow.

Essentially, my question should have been...if someone held out a 2600k and 3570k and told you to pick one for free, which one would you take.

Most people compare 2500k to 3570k. As a gamer/light VM user, does the IPC (and the fact that MY SB is a crappy overclocker), trump the 2mb cache and hyperthreading?

Really I'm not sure what the cache and HT are worth between those two chips, but I would think about the speeds on a 2500K that begin to surpass a 2600K for whatever I would be doing and compare that to the clocks a lot of people have already on either IB. Then if I could expect an IB that clocks around 4.5~4.8GHz with voltages from 1.15~1.30v, and guess that it might equal a 5.2GHz+ Sandy, then I would try it.

And the power draw and heat output is actually supposed to be quite lower despite the high temperatures on this process (temp and heat are not the same). So if I had the D14 coming I would be wondering why I would put it on a 2600K that can only use 1.37v. :eek:
 
well since you said for FREE, then IB is no brainer /thread

quoted from anandtech:
"This brings us to the good news and bad news. The good news is that at stock settings, we have a cool and quiet processor with a nice low power draw. The bad news is that it perhaps will not overclock as well as people think it should. Those wishing for 4.8GHz at 1.4 volts (similar to Sandy Bridge) will run into a lot of issues if they think that 1.4 volts is appropriate for Ivy Bridge. In comparison, you may end up with something more reasonable like 4.6GHz at 1.1 volts, or 4.8GHz at 1.2 volts (as per some boards I have tested). Then it will be a case of deciding whether the small IPC gains that Ivy brings will be worth 200 MHz less on your CPU compared to Sandy Bridge."

lets do some math as well. there is obviously a lot of evidence that IB is 5-10% faster and sometimes a bit more like...15% faster. let's just give it 5% faster per clock for the sake of this example. your SB is clocked at 4.4zh, so the equivalent speed for IB would have to be 4180mhz to run at the same speed roughly.

now given the fact that your chip is a dog and the IB *might* not be a dog, im willing to bet that it'll clock to 4.2ghz+ at a reasonable voltage.

the extra hyperthreads and 2mb cache though, that's up to you in the end in terms of what you plan to do with the chip.
 
well since you said for FREE, then IB is no brainer /thread

quoted from anandtech:
"This brings us to the good news and bad news. The good news is that at stock settings, we have a cool and quiet processor with a nice low power draw. The bad news is that it perhaps will not overclock as well as people think it should. Those wishing for 4.8GHz at 1.4 volts (similar to Sandy Bridge) will run into a lot of issues if they think that 1.4 volts is appropriate for Ivy Bridge. In comparison, you may end up with something more reasonable like 4.6GHz at 1.1 volts, or 4.8GHz at 1.2 volts (as per some boards I have tested). Then it will be a case of deciding whether the small IPC gains that Ivy brings will be worth 200 MHz less on your CPU compared to Sandy Bridge."

lets do some math as well. there is obviously a lot of evidence that IB is 5-10% faster and sometimes a bit more like...15% faster. let's just give it 5% faster per clock for the sake of this example. your SB is clocked at 4.4zh, so the equivalent speed for IB would have to be 4180mhz to run at the same speed roughly.

now given the fact that your chip is a dog and the IB *might* not be a dog, im willing to bet that it'll clock to 4.2ghz+ at a reasonable voltage.

the extra hyperthreads and 2mb cache though, that's up to you in the end in terms of what you plan to do with the chip.

Thanks for your quick thoughts. I'm in agreement on all of it other than 4180 IB = 4400 on SB. 4190 X 1.05 = 4.399, but you were close. Your post has me a little more excited about my incoming 3570k :)
 
i did my math a little differently thats why the slighly different results.

i did my math as 4400*.95 which is 4180 vs the other way around like you did, which ended up being a tiny bit different :p

good luck on that 3570k though! the factor that no one measures though is the "fun-ness" of a new chip to play with! priceless
 
Well I'm not the OP, but I'm in a similar predicament errr potential fun-ness situation lol. I hope they see this, because I definitely think switching to IB is the way to go. I overlooked the fact that escaped heat is going to be lower, despite IB potentially running a little hotter at the same clocks, which is so much better for my SG05.
 
If you really mean as a free trade, I'd probably do it just for the joy of overclocking something new ;)
 
Yeah, I think I will make the leap.

I doubt the extra L3 cache will affect gaming at all. Also, with my VM usage being relatively light I also doubt it will affect it either.

I don't de/encode video. I doubt I ever will. I bought Blurays for a reason. If I rip them, I rip then uncompressed. :D
 
If you really mean as a free trade, I'd probably do it just for the joy of overclocking something new ;)

This. Overclocking is just fun.

I've seriously considered buying like five 2600K's before (it would be 3770K's now) just to overclock them all and find their sweet spots, keep the best one, and sell the rest as a very slightly used processor. Depending on how the rest clocked, you may be able to get most of your money back on the four you don't use as some people are willing to pay a premium for a chip that overclocks well. If you got four duds (heaven forbid five duds) then you'd probably get cleaned on the deal, but at least you'd have fun doing it!

As far as Sandy vs Ivy, I'm totally a tock guy. My last two platforms have been Nehalem and Sandy and my next will be Haswell! The only thing that will change that is if I get the urge for 40 pci lanes, which is not out of the realm of possibility with 3 screen gaming.
 
If its a straight trade, why not? It's not like your going backwards in terms of performance and you could get your money out of the chip if you didn't like it.
 
Yeah, I think I will make the leap.

I doubt the extra L3 cache will affect gaming at all. Also, with my VM usage being relatively light I also doubt it will affect it either.

I don't de/encode video. I doubt I ever will. I bought Blurays for a reason. If I rip them, I rip then uncompressed. :D

some games like alot of cache. an example i can think off the top of my head is Starcraft II
 
Lose cache & HT while gaining heat & 5% IPC! Go for it!

lol

not everyone cares about HT. i actually have had my i7 920 forever now and i disabled HT since day 1 cuz i dont use anything that utilizes it. no games i play improves with it on and i heard some games actually like it off. of course, i hear some games like it on, but i dont play those games.

with HT disabled, i was able to get a higher OC at a lower voltage. easy decision for me, especially with these new IB chips. they already run hellishly hot with voltage cranked up even a tiny bit. no more unnecessary HT for me!
 
Yeah, I have tested with and without HT. For what I do I see no improvements with it on.

My main concern was the cache loss.
 
So...in the end I decided to stick with the 2600k. With my new DH-14 my temps dropped about 10C over my 212 EVO.

I am running 4.5 GHz with "Turbo LLC [Second Highest Setting]" (HT On, 1.375v BIOS, 1.38v Idle, ~1.368 Load). I told you guys my chip sucked. My temps now peak between 70-75C (25C Ambient) P95 Blend, and average 65-70C P95 Blend. With real world gaming I don't see above 60C.

I am going to purchase the Intel tuning plan. I haven't decided if I want to really push the chip to 4.8 under this plan. Would probably need over 1.45V.

Overall I figure a 3570K would net me no gains in gaming other than slight power consumption. Even having a relatively crappy 2600k I still think I am in the "safe zone" for a 4 year lifespan with my voltages and temperatures.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
3570 is not that exprensive, go gor it and try ir, if dont like it... sell it.
 
So...in the end I decided to stick with the 2600k. With my new DH-14 my temps dropped about 10C over my 212 EVO.

I am running 4.5 GHz with "Turbo LLC [Second Highest Setting]" (HT On, 1.375v BIOS, 1.38v Idle, ~1.368 Load). I told you guys my chip sucked. My temps now peak between 70-75C (25C Ambient) P95 Blend, and average 65-70C P95 Blend. With real world gaming I don't see above 60C.

I am going to purchase the Intel tuning plan. I haven't decided if I want to really push the chip to 4.8 under this plan. Would probably need over 1.45V.

Overall I figure a 3570K would net me no gains in gaming other than slight power consumption. Even having a relatively crappy 2600k I still think I am in the "safe zone" for a 4 year lifespan with my voltages and temperatures.

Hey,

You can totally turn that thing up some more. I have a 2600k that has been running at 1.495 vcore since it came out. Mine only reaches 4.7 Ghz at that vcore though.

Just something to consider......

It can take it.
 
I would do it. It's not like you can't go right back if you wanted.
 
if you got SB why the hell would you upgrade to IB anyways .....????!!
SB is 1 1/2 year old and yet some are complaining bout IB performance although they knew the tech data long before it . ...well welcome to the secret society of spoiled brats -.-
 
if you got SB why the hell would you upgrade to IB anyways .....????!!
SB is 1 1/2 year old and yet some are complaining bout IB performance although they knew the tech data long before it . ...well welcome to the secret society of spoiled brats -.-

What? If its a free upgrade why the hell not? I dont see how it makes anyone spoiled to upgrade.
 
Back
Top