2500k OC & Temps Question

Rotax7

n00b
Joined
May 22, 2012
Messages
8
I just built a 2500k system and had a few questions to throw out there to the world.

System:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
2500k
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (a LGA775 cooler)
4GB x2 G.Skill CL7 @ 1333
GTX 260
450W OCZ ModStream

I'm using the Xigmatek cooler from my C2D E8400 since the ASRock board had holes for 775 coolers....and its what I had available atm. I applied thermal paste (Arctic Silver 3) in a line as suggested in AS's instructions.

Anyway, I was just doing some burn-in and at 3.4GHz max temps I'm seeing are 73-74*C using OCCT and Linepack. This is at default voltage 1.25v. For reference, room temps are in the 78*F (25.6*C) range, and the SYSTIN temp sensor (assuming this is a motherboard temp) is in the 36-38*C range.

Coming off the 8400, these seem like high temps. I've seen others say sub-80*C under full load/linepack are acceptable with a 2500k.

Gaming (TF2, Dirt2, D3, etc), I don't see temps much above 55*C.


This CPU did not come with the stock cooler, so I have nothing to compare to. I'm wondering if I applied too much thermal paste? Or are these temps OK/normal for such a low clock/overclock.
I'm going to give 4Ghz a shot tonight and see how temps look..but it doesn't look like I'll have much to work with if I"m already seeing low-mid 70s at 3.4Ghz.


Just lookin for some more numbers from stock coolers or even from lower end/mid range aftermarket coolers.
 
I'd say they look high for that speed. What fan speed are you running on the cooler? I would probably go ahead and try re-installing the cooler to make sure you have good contact and see if that helps. That cooler should be able to do better than those temps.
 
Back
Top