• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2500k max vcore?

kinjo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
1,053
So has anyone ever gotten any solid info on max safe vcore for sandy bridge? google searching seems to yiedl two things a link from a custom pc building place that says keep it at 1.38 or less which a whole bunch of people say is crap because they "just want to reduce rma's" and a link to an intel white sheet which say it's 1.52 which a whole bunch of other people say is crap because its "clearly to high" I also see some people saying that some opther people have slowly killed their cpu's running over 1.45, 24/7 but I can't actually find the people who are claiming that just people saying they know a guy who new a guy who had a cousin who's dog killed his 2500k by running 1.5 vcore.

Right now im at 4.7 ghz and 1.375 vcore. Im using a corsair h100 with arctic mx14 thermal compound and am getting core temps around 65c on my hottest core running intel burn test... so thermals are not an issue and I could easily go way higher.

Im pretty sure I could hit 5ghz 24/7 if I bump the vcore to 1.5v but I don't want to kill my chip over the long run (I plan on keeping it for at least the next 2-3 years)
 
I meant to make an independent post documenting my results, as I have been a champion of high vcore, but I started off with 1.44v under load since about the release of the chips. I also run full auto on all settings in the ASUS bios except manual vcore.

I did also briefly run 5.2ghz, 5.4ghz, and 5.6ghz for brief periods for benching.

Starting a month ago I began to get BSODs after several hours of gaming. They did not show up in an hour of linpack or several hours of prime, just situations dealing with varying turbo speeds for hours on end.

I have now scaled it back to 4.9ghz and 1.415 under load with no issues. YMMV, but in my case I did get 6 months at that voltage with daily use before degradation.
 
most people say 1.5v is the absolute limit before failure. however temp is the more important thing to work with.
 
The secret is VTT. Too many people put the VTT way high and it doesn't need to be. A high VTT/QPI will kill these chips and or degrade them. Vcore? Hell I've had mine on air anywhere from 1.440 - 1.488 since Jan 11. No problem. My VTT/QPI is also low.
 
Back
Top