• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2500k heatsink and paste question.

arachn1d

Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
836
I haven't installed it yet as all my parts aren't here yet but I was wondering something about the paste on the heatsink:

Do I leave the paste as is, or do I spread it around?

Last time I built a PC I used a AF heatsink and had to use my artic silver paste compound and spread it around, however I noticed this intel heatsink already has about 3 lines of it. Do I just slap it on the CPU without spreading it?

Should I wipe the paste on there and apply my old artic silver compound on it? About 3 years old if that matters.
 
If you plan on using the stock compound don't mess with it when you put your heatsink on.
 
Or completely remove the stock compound and clean heatsink then replace with Arctic Silver.
 
If you're going to run stock just use the stock paste. It's been my experience that AS5 doesn't age well in the tube and is supposed to be applied to chips a certain way to really get the performance boost.
 
If you're going to run stock just use the stock paste. It's been my experience that AS5 doesn't age well in the tube and is supposed to be applied to chips a certain way to really get the performance boost.
Good tip. Thanks.
 
Back
Top