2405FPW Media Reader Problem

kkapoor

n00b
I've been trying to transfer files to my Memory Stick Duo 512MB Card (using the sony 'memory stick duo' adapter) on the 2405FPW built in media reader. However, I am constantly getting 'Data Tranfer Error: Cyclic Redundance Check' when I try and transfer files. The reader seems very picky about the files.

At first I thought it was a faulty reader and Dell has dutifully replaced the screen with no questions asked. When I tried it with the new monitor I got the same problem. Then I thought it must be a bad Memory Stick Card. So I got a replacement card and still got the same problem.

The thing is that I can transfer files to my 32MB Memory Stick Duo (using the duo adapter) without any problems. Additionally, I also used an external USB 2 media reader made by Sandisk and have had no problems transferring files to both 512MB and 32MB cards.

The only logical deduction is that there seems to be some sort of problem with the built in Media Reader on the 2405FPW and memory stick duo cards larger than 32MB.

Could someone try and reproduce the problem and post their results. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've seen this on many media readers before too. It usually indicates a hardware error and can be something as simple as a bad USB cable. Or it could be your USB drivers. Do you have the latest USB2.0 drivers for your chipset? XP and USB2.0 drivers can be a real PITA.

nomar said:
I've seen this on many media readers before too. It usually indicates a hardware error and can be something as simple as a bad USB cable. Or it could be your USB drivers. Do you have the latest USB2.0 drivers for your chipset? XP and USB2.0 drivers can be a real PITA.

Where can i get the latest USB 2.0 Drivers for XP Pro SP2? I've tried replacing the the USB cord and it made no difference. I replaced the monitor and replaced the memory stick card and didn't have any luck.

Back