• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2400 or 2500k???

kdw1975

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
142
I am building a computer for my daughter to use and while she probably won't play that many games on it she does like WOW. I also want to have it last her for a while. I am going to get either the i5 2400 for $150 or the i5 2500k for $180. Do you think the 2500k is worth the extra $30?
 
I'd go 2400. Should be more than enough for wow. Stick that extra $30 in a better video card.
 
2500K if you are concerned with longevity. Given the fact that you can easily overclock it to 4 GHz probably without voltage modification, that would definitely last a while.
 
I agree with the 2500k. Think about how much more performance you're getting for just that $30. In a few years if it's feeling *slow* you can always just crank out 5-800mhz more, not to mention resale value will almost certainly be higher.
 
If you want really no-fuss overclocking, the MSI P67A-GD65 offers OC Genie which will automatically overclock your CPU to a decent level with minimal voltage increase. You don't need to touch anything.
 
Im wondering how much difference is there from the 2500 to the 2500K. Just the fact that its unlocked?
 
Im wondering how much difference is there from the 2500 to the 2500K. Just the fact that its unlocked?

Consider the fact that, without the K variant, you are shut out of overclocking. The max you can realistically add to the bclk is 5 MHz.
 
thats understandable but what if you dont care for overclocking. I mean I am coming from a Low end 445 Rana 3.1 x3 core chip to a 2500 or 2500k build that completely obliterated the Highest AMD chip on the market so coming from my low end even the 2500 blows the doors off my old setup.

I was never fond of overclocking & to be honest I dont think I will OC. So thats why i asked. I know people will think im stupid for Not ocing but I cant stand screwing around with The Various hours of testing & tweaking.
 
Thats the beauty of the "new" way of Intel OC...as easy as pushing a button and the motherboard does the rest...so easy even a caveman could do it :)
 
yeah ill just grab the 2500k now I just need to find a stable board seems like alot of boards have issues
 
For what it's worth, my board seems to be pretty much fine. Just make sure to have proper RAM for it. >_>
 
Basic rule of buying computer hardware is to ALWAYS buy as much as you can afford. it never pays to cut corners and go budget unless you're just doing web surfing. It ALWAYS comes back to haunt you someday, and you wind up spending more money over time....
 
my tip for a hidden gem in boards -

asrock

especially if you want a medium oc without any tweaking at all.
 
definitely the 2500K, $30 nothing and you really get what you pay for in this case.
 
my tip for a hidden gem in boards -

asrock

especially if you want a medium oc without any tweaking at all.

I'm running an asrock extreme4 and am very happy with it. Cheap and seems solid so far. Just keep in mind the lower end asrocks only have a 1 year warranty as opposed to 2+ from other manufacturers or asrock's higher tier boards.

To the op: even if you don't want to OC now, having the option to get a 'free' 1ghz or so out of the 2500k in the future if you decide to seems like its worth an extra $30 to me.
 
I'm thinking that it's more than $30 when you consider the mobo. With a 2400 you could get away with a cheaper mobo, with H67 maybe. But then again, I don't really know prices for 1155 mobos. With an overclocked 2500k you'll get about 30% more performance than with a 2400, translate that into prices.
If a cheap combo with the 2400 will ever surface, I know I'll byte.
 
When you start paying more for overclocking performance than it becomes a moot point to buy overclockable parts.

This is why I still like the older way overclocking by raising FSB.
 
The 2500k would definitely be better for long term usage. Years down the road it'll allow for very easy overclocking to keep up with more demanding games. If her computer gets upgraded on a fairly regular basis (2-3 years), then I'd save the extra $30 and just get the 2400.
 
When you start paying more for overclocking performance than it becomes a moot point to buy overclockable parts.

This is why I still like the older way overclocking by raising FSB.

Yeah but it's only 20 more and more than a few peeps can hit 5ghz. 4.5 is almost a guarantee with little to no tweaking required.
 
If you plan to use the onboard video and a h67motherboard then the 2500k has better video processor, if not then it doesn't matter if there will be no overclocking.
 
Back
Top