• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

23'' or 27''

tazza

n00b
Joined
Oct 29, 2011
Messages
18
Ok this is my gaming rig,

Intel Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge overlocked to 4.5
ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Z77
Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 16gb
Sapphire Radeon HD7970 OC 3GB

what monitor should i get a u2312Hm or a u2711?

Is 1440p a lot better than 1080p? is it worth it?

how would 1440p perform in games like BF3, skyrim, dirt3, Crysis, Tera?

would i be able to play comfortably? what type of settings? I know i wont need much AA at 1440p, so thats a bonus,
 
It's give and take. I came from 1080p to 1600p. It's about twice as demanding and arguable looks twice as sharper and you can see further into the scene. If feel it's worth it. Also I feel like your rig is over kill for 1080p, so you should make the leap.

You'll also enjoy the extra space for desktop work. Which also a bonus.

Skyrim will be a joke to run, I run a 5870 and ran skyrim at >60 FPS most the time at 4800x2560 (3x1600 p) on a 5870 2GB and 2500K.

I'm not sure about the other games, I haven't played them.
 
Go for a 27" 1440p Korean IPS monitor and make that 7970 sweat a bit.
 
Have you considered that the Dell U2711 is a wide gamut monitor? The screen can display a wider range of colors, but this means your games will look more saturated than originally intended.

Perhaps you have already found these interesting reviews: U2711 and U2312HM. Have you also considered the U2412M? Just like the U2312HM it's an excellent monitor for gaming, but it will provide you with an additional 120 pixels in height.
 
I dont like 23" displays. Theyre shorter than a 22" 16:10 and just a little wider. Id suggest a 24" instead.

That being said, with the horsepower of your rig, Id opt for the the bigger screen and higher resolution. The added detail will be nice and the extra screen real estate will be much better.
 
With the microcenter auria (2560x1440) now available available in the US for $400, I really don't see the value in a Dell u2711 unless you hate having a glossy screen, or 3-yr warranty and better build quality is worth twice the $$$ to you.
 
Back
Top