• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

~$200 warm integrated amplifier...ideas?

450

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
20,977
I have a friend with some bright sounding speakers (I think they're lower end Klipsch bookshelf speakers). He's in the market for a new or used integrated amplifier for his office that can also be used as a competent headphone amplifier.

Requirements:
- $225 shipped/after tax maximum (new or used)
- Subwoofer pre-out (more of a want than a need)
- Easily available online or b&m
- At least 50wpc

Here's a list I've come up with.
NAD 325BEE
Pioneer Elite A35r
Cambridge Audio 340A

Any ideas?
 
if you feel like digging a bit:
Technics SA-190/290, or any of the early to mid 1980's SU series (theres probably 50 total options here, many of them will blow past $200 in good working condition)
 
Last edited:
I have that NAD in my home office connected to some Celestion CL6's. Honestly I wouldn't call it warm. I have it currently connected to a Mapletree HD tubed preamp which in my signal path is warming the signal. I have tried the setup without the Mapletree and it just wasn't right.

That said I love NAD one of the best buys in audio IMO. But if you want warm you need to look to tubes and not solid state.
 
if you feel like digging a bit:
Technics SA-190/290, or any of the early to mid 1980's SU series (theres probably 50 total options here, many of them will blow past $200 in good working condition)

I'll look into the Technics sets.

You could probably grab a Cambridge Audio 540a off Audiogon for about that much.

540a for ~$200?! Wow. :)

That Pioneer is a nice amp. Can't comment on the others.

I had an A35r. MOSFETs blew up twice. :( I loved the sound though.

I have that NAD in my home office connected to some Celestion CL6's. Honestly I wouldn't call it warm. I have it currently connected to a Mapletree HD tubed preamp which in my signal path is warming the signal. I have tried the setup without the Mapletree and it just wasn't right.

That said I love NAD one of the best buys in audio IMO. But if you want warm you need to look to tubes and not solid state.

NAD = not warm. Got it. Can I get a decent tube amp for $200? Aren't most tube amps relatively low wattage?
 
Well everything depends on the sensitivity of the speakers. Seeing that Klipsh is famous for really sensitive speakers, upwards of 98db, it's possible to run 6ft tall speakers on a 3watt tube amp (seen that myself and sounded great).

If you are willing to buy off of Audiogon then finding a tube amp shouldn't be a problem and I can't see how anything you buy there would be able to not drive those speakers.

And no NAD doesn't mean not warm. The CL6's are bright themselves so any solid state would be at a disadvantage.
 
How is the bass on the NAD? Is it anemic, well rounded, or excessive?
 
well from their specs, it shouldn't be something you can describe as "anemic" or "excessive" either way, 20-20khz +/- .2 dB is not something you'll really "hear"

the speakers and their placement will determine bass response, assuming they aren't underpowered (which I doubt they would be on that NAD), really not understanding what you're getting at with "warm" and "dark" regarding a power amplifier...its a bloody power amplifier
 
the speakers and their placement will determine bass response, assuming they aren't underpowered (which I doubt they would be on that NAD), really not understanding what you're getting at with "warm" and "dark" regarding a power amplifier...its a bloody power amplifier

Well, the A35r I had rolled off treble, a nice warm sound (almost tube like). The Onkyo receiver I have on the other hand is very treble heavy. It's weird since the onkyo has about 2-3 times the power of the A35r.
 
Well, the A35r I had rolled off treble, a nice warm sound (almost tube like). The Onkyo receiver I have on the other hand is very treble heavy. It's weird since the onkyo has about 2-3 times the power of the A35r.

not really understanding what you're getting at here, unless theres impedance mismatch, clipping, etc (i.e: something shouldn't be connected to something but is), there shouldn't be differences between the amplifiers themselves (excepting power, and any problems caused by the above)
 
I don't know much about amps or what integrated means, but I heard little dot makes great warm tube amps. Sadly I don't see myself putting down $200 on a dedicated amp any time soon.
 
I don't know much about amps or what integrated means, but I heard little dot makes great warm tube amps. Sadly I don't see myself putting down $200 on a dedicated amp any time soon.

integrated amp means its the amplifier + preamplifier together, but theres no AM/FM stage (And thats about as muddy as its gotten today), where as a receiver has AM/FM + amplifier + preamplifier

for reference, preamplifier is volume and tone (like treble/bass) control, whereas the amplifier is *just* the gain section (what drives the speakers), the preamp usually also includes input selection, but it isn't neccisarily required to be so

as an aside, I thought little dot was just for headphones?
 
not really understanding what you're getting at here, unless theres impedance mismatch, clipping, etc (i.e: something shouldn't be connected to something but is), there shouldn't be differences between the amplifiers themselves (excepting power, and any problems caused by the above)

What I'm saying is that given the same speakers, placement, cables, source, and ears, amplification equipment can alter the tone.

I don't know much about amps or what integrated means, but I heard little dot makes great warm tube amps. Sadly I don't see myself putting down $200 on a dedicated amp any time soon.

obobski gives a good definition of an integrated amp in his post. Unfortunately I don't think I can get any of little dot amps as those seem to be pre-amplifiers/headphone amps.

as an aside, I thought little dot was just for headphones?

Some of them function as pre-amps as well. I didn't notice any speaker amps though.
 
ah, I didn't even know they could be preamplifiers, you learn something new every day :)

I've honestly never noticed a tone change phenomenon between amplifiers, excepting if stuff is plugged up wrong, so I can't really help you there, I guess if you do notice it, it'll be up to you to determine what it sounds like
 
Back
Top