200+ mbps N with 2 wires?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I want to upgrade my laptop from G to N but it only has 2 antenna wires in it (and I dont want to void the warranty by installing a 3rd (esp since I am not too comfortable with a laptop I dont have blueprints for)

I have an N series router and am going to add N wireless to my other laptop and desktop (both of which will have all 3 antennas) but this one will only have 2. Will I still be able to get the N-series speed (range is not a problem I tend to stay within 100' (usually withing 25-50 feet) of the router

Main use will be File backup and UltraVNC (free edition)

What about your expansion card slot? Is that already in use? If not you can buy a wireless N card and install it in there.

What about your expansion card slot? Is that already in use? If not you can buy a wireless N card and install it in there.

dont have one unless you cound my card reader. No swiftcard, no PCMCIA, not even a CF. All Ihave is my PCI-E inside (there's even wiring for a second PCI-e on the board but it was never installed)

All I have outside are USBx3, VGA, Svideo, and my card reader

Should work fine, a non-MIMO wireless-n card will only use 2 antennas and still support the 300mbit spec*. You theoretically get better performance using MIMO, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in the real world. The Intel 5100 and Atheros AR9281 are 2 antenna wireless n cards.

* Might want to check though, some 2 antenna cards are 300mbit receive/150mbit send. Still beats g by quite a bit.

Back