2 windows installs, boot logger want 1

Xenozx

2[H]4U
ok i had windows xp installed on this computer on 2 separate hard drives. to make a long story short i recently went into the second hard drive and deleted windows/documents and settings/program files folders. the problem im having is when my computer boots up it still shows 2 installs and the first one is this crappy version so if the timer hits 0 it tries to boot to a windows install thats not their any more. any idea's how to fix this? im going to be installing windows 64 beta soon, and i would like to clear this up. any help would be greatly appriciated.

Open C:\boot.ini in notepad. Remove the second line.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

this is what i have for my boot loader? which line/s do i remove?

Thats normal. You should not be having that problem. Alternatively, you can use msconfig to view and edit global bootup properties.

i only have 1 install tho now. so i dont want it to give me the boot loader at all i just want it to go and boot strait into the only version of windows on the machine.

Look at your msconfig, as shown. This is mine from a machine with multiple drives. Please note that the boot loader is entirely controlled by boot.ini. Could you take a screenshot like mine?

msconfig.jpg

yes, when i get home ill do that no problem. probably wont be for a couple of hours tho, work...

Check for boot.ini on other drives.

OK kool, i checked my other 4 partitions and i found boot.ini on G:

anyway to make a long story short i deleted that boot.ini all together and from there my computer wouldnt boot at all 8( kept telling me my hal.??? file was missing or damaged.

went into bios and realized it was set to boot from one of my IDE drives first so i switched it to the RAID drive and now everything is fine 8)

thank you M11 for all your help, i would have never figured it out on my own.

now time to install windows 64 beta... 8(

Before you install the beta, check the HCL. I had to format over it due to lack of driver support.

HCL???

it installed fine. i did make another post about some problems im having with it though, if you would be kind enough to check it out. just search "windows 64"

Back