2 questions:

thesmelliestsock.

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What is the ideal temp for a CPU? What is a safe temp?

2) Is there a program I can use to up the FSB on the fly through windows? Or do I always have to do it through the BIOS.

Originally posted by ·PitBuLL·
1) What is the ideal temp for a CPU? What is a safe temp?

2) Is there a program I can use to up the FSB on the fly through windows? Or do I always have to do it through the BIOS.

1) depends on your cpu, AMD or Intel? Since I'm an Intel n00b, I'll pretend like you have an AMD CPU, say, 2400+ - 3000+. The ideal idle temps vary from 25c (very low) to 40c (on the high side). While the CPU is at full load, you shouldn't go much above 53c ish, or else you will crash.

There is a program, that I dislike, called "NVIDIA SYSTEM UTILITY" (use google to find it, too lazy to link). You can't change the multiplier, only the FSB. Seeing as you've only posted 3 times, I HIGHLY suggest you search through some threads and get a little background on overclocking...

OH YEAH, next time you post, please post more info, so we can better assist you :)

1. Which specific CPU are you talking about? Safe temps are generally between -20 and 60c. But that can vary with the CPU and brand.

2. To the best of my knowledge, one will have to up the FSB through the BIOS...I know they make vid card oc'ing software that will work through windows...but otherwise not sure.

I have a P4 1.6ghz Willamette, currently overclocked to 2.0ghz (16x125fsb). However, my voltage setting is set at +15%, which is why I'm worried about heat problems.

microsoft and intel are working on getting a windows based bios for future generation of computers...

just stick to the bios OCing for now

Back