2 or 4 instances

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 3.0C gigahertz system and I currently have it running 2 instances, with hyperthreading on. The ppd increased a lot. I was trying to get 4 instances up, but they don't seem to work. 2 of the instances seem to stall out after the author information information in the log. I put 2 of the instances on machine 1 and 2 on machine 2. Is it at all possible to run four instances with hyperthreading? Will it make my comp produce more?

update: I'm trying to put it on machine id 1,2,3,4 but in taskmanager it shows cpu usage as 49, 19, 18, 16

Because folding thinks you have two cpu's you can run two instances no problem. More then that will just slow you down... No gain. Even on a dually you should only run two.

Now if you find a Quad processor machine your home free;)

BillR

Got it... Not possible.
Thanks for the reply, kinda stinks I was hoping for maybe and extra 2-3%

I wish I had a quad proc. No ones kinda enough to give me one, and I don't have the cash.:(

Depends on what you are trying to do. I've some dual Xeon, 3Ghz,no net access, W2K boxes which I am burning in.
I'll give them 6 instances. It seems to work best with 2 instances at low and 4 at idle. With most of the proteins they will chew through them in a day. The only reason to run more than 1 instance at a time per CPU or virtual CPU is to minimize down time.

I was just trying to get four instances on 1 ht. machine. Just for the heck of it/ get more pts.

Originally posted by BillR:

Because folding thinks you have two cpu's you can run two instances no problem. More then that will just slow you down... No gain. Even on a dually you should only run two.
Unless it's a dual Xeon, of course. ;)

Here's the effect of a Dual Xeon that I'm "fixing" for a co-worker's son...

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/member_overview.php?UserID=55420

of course, I took this as an opportunity to pretty much double my production while I'm "fixing" his PC (Lots of small problems, nothing that'll keep it from folding away while we wait on a new case and some aftermarket HSFs... "ground shipping? from CA to WV? 5day min.... sounds good!!" :D ).... I've got one instance running on each 2.4 Xeon.... each turns in about the same frame times (actually a little longer) than my P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz.....

Back