• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

1TB M.2 SATA SSD

darkbasic

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
25
Hi,
I'm looking for a 1TB SSD with the M.2 connector which works with the SATA bus (my laptop's M.2 connector uses SATA instead of PCI-Express). I want to install it into a Dell XPS 13 9343 (Broadwell).
I fear that newer SSDs like the Samsung 960 EVO (which is NVMe and the only one I know to reach 1Tb) don't work with the SATA bus, despite using the same M.2 connector. Is there anything available compatible with my laptop?
 
You have a bunch of options actually. Samsung 850 EVO, Intel 540s, and SanDisk X400 all come in 1TB M.2 options that are SATA based.
 
Thanks.

The best price I found in Italy for the Samsung 850 EVO is 332,46 €: http://www.bpm-power.com/it/product/1638546/
The best price I found in Italy for the SanDisk X400 is 256,58 €: http://www.bpm-power.com/it/product/1627132/
The best price I found in Italy for the Crucial MX300 is 245,83 €: http://www.bpm-power.com/it/product/1665119/
Intel 540s are way too expensive at 569,98 € on Amazon while being previously available at 303,60 €: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01FIJDPCC/ref=asc_df_B01FIJDPCC38100975?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H

I care mostly for *reliability* and linux compatibility, but performance is also important (but not as much as the reliability). My experience is limited to Intel and Samsung, so I would say "Saumsung 850 EVO" because of that. What do you suggest me to buy?

P.S.
I don't remember if it's allowed to link to external shops, if not let me know and I will immediately remove the links.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those brands at this time. I don't think the EVO is worth 70+ Euros more than the SanDisk or Crucial though.
 
I think the Sandisk X400 will be your best bet for price to performance and reliability.
 
I'm currently running 2 M.2 MX300 525GB Crucials in Raid 0 on my workstation with no issues what so ever, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. These replaced an Evo 850 and essentially doubled r/w performance.
 
I took the Samsung 850 EVO: the SanDisk X400 was no longer available and all SSD prices were rising since I opened this thread. Today I read this is a trend which is going to continue, so I bought it.
 
Back
Top