1and1 hosting...be careful

mickster

Limp Gawd
So my wife wanted to get a website up for her business a couple years ago. We chose 1 & 1 because of their blanket advertising and rates. She never got the website up but did use the email part for awhile. She finally got a different domain and web hosting account earlier this year with a different company. We attempted to cancel the 1and1 account when we received a bill due in January...it dragged on for various reasons until April at which point we paid the bill and were assured by them the account was closed. We received another bill yesterday.
When my wife called this morning, I could hear her usually calm voice getting more and more upset. I went up to her office and listened to her end and understood why. The billing/collection bot she was speaking to was demanding hard copy proof for the phone cancellation.
She's been taken hostage by these people.
We went through similar unpleasantness during our conversation with them earlier this year.

If anybody knows a name and a means to get these buttwipes off our cases for good, please do tell.

Thanks!

I have got a few domains hosted at 1and1 too. Thanks for the warning, hopefully we won't have to go through the same experience.

Good luck in getting things sorted at any rate :)

I've never heard any good stories about 1&1.

I use hostmonster. Never had an issue with any of the 4 domains I have hosted with them.

1and1 is terrible. I'm not sure if you're looking for a replacement, but I have been hosted with A Small Orange for three years now, and have literally had a total of 3 hours of downtime. Their support is top notch, too. It's just insane how fast I get replies.

They let you create coupon codes, so I created a couple for you if you want to use them (or whoever):

Hard15 - 15% off order

Hard5 - $5 off order

I think you can only use one at a time, I'm not sure.

GoDaddy has been my choice for the last couple years.

avoid 1and1 at all costs....was with them a couple of years back....holy jesus they are terrible

-bad service
-slow service

I was with 1and1 for about 6 years and never had any issues with them. Canceled my web hosting and transferred a domain under my account to another account with no issues at all. Guess I was the exception though. In 6 years I had maybe 2 hours of downtime. Pretty good in my book.

1and1 has been awesome for me, and they are based in my geographic area as well. I have four domains with them, can't recall any downtime in years, and their support has been top notch. I've called with several how-to type issues, and had answers from real, live people, within minutes.

i had no complaints when i had an account with 1&1. But then again it was years back when they had some deal going on where they were giving out free accounts (didn't even need to provide a credit card or valid mailing address, i think it was activated over the phone). I used it until my account expired. They never pestered me or anything about renewing into a paid account.

Back