$197 Netbook

Adam

[H]ard|Gawd
Best Buy has an IBM Netbook for $197 for those interested... 3 cell battery, 160GB hd though, but if you missed neweggs acer black friday deal, this isnt a bad alternative.

You mean Lenovo right? IBM doesn't make consumer electronics anymore. Lenovo bought that division from IBM every since May 2005.

Also it would be great to get a sku, color, and whether it is XP home or 7 starter (Lenovo offers both of these with 160 gb hd)

Yep. I bought the Asus they had for $249 with the slip case last Sunday. Kind of wish I waited but oh well...

$200 for a netbook is not bad especially if it is for someone that is not as nerdy as we are...

I really have very mixed feelings over netbooks. Got an Asus Eee PC 1000H last February. Played around with Ubuntu and Windows 7 with it and while they can be kind of neat for quick hits, I really can't stand the small keyboards and screens for long.

Unless you need the size and weight characteristics of a netbook and cheap notebook is a better way to go.

I think they are selling cheap to clear out the old models. The new netbooks with the new atom will be out in January.

Best Buy has an IBM Netbook for $197 for those interested... 3 cell battery, 160GB hd though, but if you missed neweggs acer black friday deal, this isnt a bad alternative.

Its Lenovo...not IBM..

IBM don't make laptop anymore, Lenovo took it over... which is why the quality went down dramatically.

I've actually heard good things about Lenovo from experienced people though.

I'm interestd in a netbook for these primary reasons:

1. portability
2. writing
3. photo storage device
4. checking email for businesses
5. movie viewing
6. light use of Dreamweaver
7. image viewing while in the field

This one had a wonky screen size - not even 1086x600 - means excessive scrolling for web browsing...

But it sold on Newegg for $279+ship+tax

Sory, guess it sold out. And i forgot the link.

Im not a big fan of netbooks either. They are great, don't get me wrong, but not my cup of tea. Im a 5'11 guy whos 210 pounds so i have big hands that don't work well with small netbooks. Im not even a big laptop fan just use one for work. But for my GF whos got small hands, its great. She loves it (got it for her for xmas, the acer one). But hey if you need something small its great.

I see the cable techs use them a lot, guess optimum is being cheap and not paying for regular laptops these days.

I bought a Gateway (rebranded Acer) right before Black Friday on sale at $229. Perfect for what it is....10.5 screen, 160gb HDD, 1gb RAM, 1.6GHz Intel Atom, XPSP3, 6 cell battery that does 8 hours easy. Turned it on and it picked up a wireless signal and off I went. Fast and light. I highly suggest those with a little extra cash to pick one up. I keep it in my car in the console compartment. :cool:

I bought a Gateway (rebranded Acer) right before Black Friday on sale at $229. Perfect for what it is....10.5 screen, 160gb HDD, 1gb RAM, 1.6GHz Intel Atom, XPSP3, 6 cell battery that does 8 hours easy. Turned it on and it picked up a wireless signal and off I went. Fast and light. I highly suggest those with a little extra cash to pick one up. I keep it in my car in the console compartment. :cool:

+1 The weight was the only reason why I bought my netbook. I got sick of lugging my Dell out to peoples boats to diagnose a simple KVH issue that took all of 5 minutes. I added another gig of ram to mine and off I went.

This is the old Lenovo model as well. The S10-2 has been out for quite awhile and has some improvements over the original S10. Only plus for the original S10 is that it is one of the only netbooks to have a full expresscard slot.

I have the S10-2 and it is a wonderful machine.

hothardware.com said:
Rather than dishing out a completely new netbook at the 10.1" level, Lenovo instead opted to stick with its S10 label and push out a new revision. Here's a rundown of what's new compared to the original IdeaPad S10:
0.2kg (0.44lbs.) lighter
4mm thinner
New top lid with special cover pattern and color design
New Dolby sound enhancements
89% full-size keyboard with enlarged right-Shift key
Larger touchpad
Optional 3G built-in
One extra USB port (now a total of three)
OneKey Rescue System
Lenovo QuickStart
Up to six hours of battery life, or around 30% more than before

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S102-Review/

Back