~$150 for AGP, suggestions?

Okay, before I hear stuff saying I should save, I really need to replace my 32mb geforce 2. It got me through Half-Life 2, but its goin downhill and can't play games very well. I don't make much money, so the cheaper the better.

I was thinking the 9800SE. I only play First Person Shooters like RavenShield and CS:S/HL2. Will the 9800SE get me through to the next generation of shooters? Or should I wait and get something like the newer X-series of ATI?

Also, I had a 8500LE. When I played RavenSheild with it, I got 130FPS, but the card started to give me shit loads of errors and would run VPU recovery(even while on desktop). The 8500LE worked awesome(got it from friend who had problems w/it too) besides the problems I've had. Problems came with Catalyst and Omega drivers. But the 130FPS blew my mind on 64mb.

So will the 9800Se fit my needs? Is it worth saving for a 9800Pro? I don't need any special functions like TV-I/O or anything, but an S-Video output would be kick ass. I'm not partial to Nvidia or ATI, but I know about the newer ATI's more than Nvidia.

look for a 9800 se with a 256 bit interface. If it has an R360 core you can use omega drivers to open up the extra 4 pipelines and run it as a pro. you could probably find a refurb for sub $125.

yeah Ebay will get you a nice 9800SE ...but make sure it has a 256bit....and then flash it to Pro..and youll be in pure bliss...unless you can find a nicer card for cheaper... :rolleyes:

Sorry for asking. :) How do you flash these Ati. I am new to the Ati world. I got a free 9700 pro from my uncle.
Thanks,
Anthony

You dont even need to flash it guys, a simple driver replacement will do.

The driver is called a softmod driver, our very own member w1zzard makes them.

~Adam

http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/

W1zzard's website, I'm surprised you haven't heard of this before, it's very well known, or it was.

~Adam

Edit: I'm glad you brought this up, I might flash mine simply because I can and I know it'll work but first I have to edit it to change the clock speeds.

looks good...but i got a 6800GT now....but ill hold on to these... :D

Back