1440p vs 1080p

Grimvald

n00b
Hi all...
Question mainly for users of the Dell u2515h, but also anyone who jumped from 1080p to 1440p.

How much of a hit did your PC get when jumping to QHD resolution?
I want to jump to QHD for a nicer work experiance - mainly graphic design, illustration and webdesign.

But I like to play games too.
My PC is:
- i5 4590 3.3GHz
- 8 GB ram
- GTX 660

I know that there is little to no chance of running Witcher 3 on this specs (the card needs to be upgraded...just not now yet ;) ). But a little older games, like Dragon Age Inquisition, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Rider, Assassins Creed series, Witcher 2...
Would I see a giant drop in framerate and need to lower the configuration? Or is it a little more subtle?

I wouldn't even try to run 1440p with anything less than a 770, but that's just me. And it's not going to run good.

(2560*1440) / (1920*1080) = 1.7777

77.77% more pixels. so 1440p is closer to half the speed of 1080p than not. is that giant or subtle to you

Hi all...
Question mainly for users of the Dell u2515h, but also anyone who jumped from 1080p to 1440p.

How much of a hit did your PC get when jumping to QHD resolution?
I want to jump to QHD for a nicer work experiance - mainly graphic design, illustration and webdesign.

But I like to play games too.
My PC is:
- i5 4590 3.3GHz
- 8 GB ram
- GTX 660

I know that there is little to no chance of running Witcher 3 on this specs (the card needs to be upgraded...just not now yet ;) ). But a little older games, like Dragon Age Inquisition, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Rider, Assassins Creed series, Witcher 2...
Would I see a giant drop in framerate and need to lower the configuration? Or is it a little more subtle?

No none of those games will run properly on that graphics card.

I made that jump (coming from a ViewSonic VX2770-SMH to an Asus RoG Swift), however because I had already replaced my GTX 570 to 970 before the monitor came (my 570 didn't have displayport), and I built my SLI 970 rig very soon after that (maybe two weeks).

The one thing that stood out to me the most was the extra desktop space and the inability to see the pixel grid lines on the swift, even at normal sitting distance the 27" 1080p I could see the grid lines, and after looking at 1440p for 6 months, the lines were even more obvious.

AFAIK 570 is similar in performance to a 660, at 1080p, BSI and TW2 both could run ok, TW2 only runs well if I didn't switch on Ubersampling. I never measured my fps with these games, but 660 almost certainly isn't enough for 1440p for those games, either in GPU power or VRAM. You will definitely need at least a 970 or similar card, preferably with an SLI setup or Titan X depending on how much of a compromise you are willing to get with graphical details. Personally I'd wait for 980ti, that card should be similar to what a 770 is on a 1080p.

I was running 1080 on a older monitor prior to jumping to a U2515 and had a very similar system to yours. I was running a 670 on a 2600k, because of the jump i had to lower settings down to medium or so and no longer was able to do high on almost everything.I ended up upgrading the entire system

I'd invest in a better card before getting a better monitor or probably do both for most bang :p.

Big thanks everybody! Really helpfull, Ill stay with my current monitor for the time being, at least untill I upgrade my vcard.

I'll borrow this thread for a while.

I was wondering, I got a 24" 1080p monitor now. If I upgrade to a 27" 1440p, the ppi is around 19% higher (even if the pixelcount is 77%, once the area served is larger, the sharpness decreases).

So would it be worth it? Anyone made the 24" 1080p to 27" 1440p jump in particular who can shed some light on it from a pure clarity perspectice?
I'm not counting extra bonuses like high refresh rate, G/F-Sync etc as those are seperate issues.

I went from my Dell U2412m 24" 1920x1200 to the Acer XG270HU 27" 2560x1440 and it was a noticeable jump.

I took a hit for gaming, of course, but not too bad. FreeSync helps a lot.

The visual fidelity of 1440p over 1080p mainly came from higher resolution textures and the higher ppi. I came from a 27" 1080p and the ppi difference was much more dramatic.

The other benefit of 1440p was the increased windows desktop real estate, meaning I could put more in the same amount of space, but things are still legible.

The only thing bad about 1440p was UI scaling in some games. UI scaling is not an issue for most games, but some games do, so in some of them the UI may be smaller than you are used to, but not so small that I find them illegible.

Check out some benchmarks. Even 980gtx isn't enough for some newer aaa games in 1440p.

Back