• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1366 vs 1155 memory performance?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
7,434
G'day all,

The CFD simulation software I run at work (and often at home) scales pretty heavily with memory speed. An i7 930 was faster at 3.5GHz CPU and 1600MHz on the ram than it was at 4.0GHz and 1333MHz on the ram, and the triple channel memory 1366 i7s were way faster than the 1156 dual channel i7s for the same clock speeds.

So I'm building a new system and am wondering what would be better, a 1366 i7 with the triple channel memory or a sandy bridge with dual channel. I've heard the sandy bridge has a better memory controller, so is faster in memory related tasks than the old 1156 CPUs, but is it as fast or faster than the 1366?

Cheers,
Tudz
 
Not being familiar with the software you are running, I think the big question is whether it is more dependent on bandwidth or latency? In my reading of synthetic memory scores, it looks like pretty much all of the Bloomfield i7s have more bandwidth than the fastest Sandy Bridge, but the Sandy Bridge systems have slightly lower memory latency.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1057&type=expert&pid=6

If your simulation software needs bandwidth above all else (kind of sounds like it from your two different memory speed examples), I'd think a 1366 system would still be what you want.
 
Ahhh, thanks for the link. Yeah, I think its more bandwidth we need. So it seems the sandy bridges have much the same bandwidth or even slightly less than the Lynnfields.
 
Back
Top