10GBase-T NICs finally showing up, it seems.

Anyone see other vendors releasing similar products yet? How much do these NICs run for?

That's hot. Or will be, as soon as switch vendors start supporting them :p

Absolutely :). Conversely, it will just be another way of me realizing how pathetic my storage subsystem bandwidth is, lol.

I'd buy these for my home when they hit the $100 level or so. So it's an opportunity for enterprise-level hardware junkies -- it should be embarrassing for them that consumer gigabit hardware can match or exceed their performance (saturating gigabit) for single file transfers and such workloads. Buy them, while we can't, and then brag about it. When they come down in price and mere consumers can get 10 Gb, of course go to the next level. :)

They've been around for a while. $2,500. I'm sure Intel has some too for win.
Umm no...
"They are the S310e-BT for storage acceleration and the N310e-BT server NIC, and are priced the same as their SR fibre equivalents - that's $1995 and $1295 respectively."

which is from -> http://www.techworld.com/networking/news/index.cfm?newsid=7802

So the real price is $1295.00 and it uses a PCI Express slot... which looks like to be a 8x slot according to the PDF from the company site.

When they hit $500 or less I'll buy in. Right now they are just too far out for the enthusiast or private user.

That's hot. Or will be, as soon as switch vendors start supporting them :p
They have been.... Extreme Networks switches all come standard with 10GB ports. There is about a dozen other companies that have 10GB port with their switches. Though... more so consumer level companies should have them by November.

Umm no...
"They are the S310e-BT for storage acceleration and the N310e-BT server NIC, and are priced the same as their SR fibre equivalents - that's $1995 and $1295 respectively."

which is from -> http://www.techworld.com/networking/news/index.cfm?newsid=7802

So the real price is $1295.00 and it uses a PCI Express slot... which looks like to be a 8x slot according to the PDF from the company site.
Small Tree has been selling those for about 6 months. The copper ones and the fiber one I linked to. The copper ones are cheaper. Like I said Intel has some too.

That isn't 10GBase-T, though. It won't use UTP RJ45. Copper, yes. "Regular" ethernet, no.

Chelsio doesn't list them as being available on their price inquiry page. I am pretty sure they'll be pricey :). That said, however, Sun has 10g fiber NICs for as low as $498 per port so perhaps the RJ45 copper will be around that price if not cheaper.
http://www.sun.com/products/networking/ethernet/10gigethernet/index.xml
No support for Windows until 08/2007, though.

i dont think you can do 10gbE over RJ45...

i wonder if they will make a 10gbE module for my HP 4108GL

You can :). That was the whole point of me starting this thread, lol.
The Chelsio one is the first that I've seen. Check out the picture.

You can :). That was the whole point of me starting this thread, lol.
The Chelsio one is the first that I've seen. Check out the picture.
ok now I see link
The N310e-BT is a stateless offload server adapter, delivering the highest throughput for 10Gb Ethernet server applications. With the N310 series, enterprises can cost effectively connect servers and storage systems directly to the 10GbE backbone switching infrastructure now using RJ-45 connectors, in addition to the previously available fiber and CX-4 copper.
50m, wonder how they'll integrate those into existing switches with only certain connectors?

They have been.... Extreme Networks switches all come standard with 10GB ports. There is about a dozen other companies that have 10GB port with their switches. Though... more so consumer level companies should have them by November.

That's 10 gbit fiber, unless I miss my guess.

i dont think you can do 10gbE over RJ45...

i wonder if they will make a 10gbE module for my HP 4108GL
Ah, Cat 6A (Augmented) rj45 cable and Cat6 SCTP aka FTP cable are both 10GB certified. Though it is recommend to have shieled RJ45 cable as there are still interference problems with Cat6A.

Back