1080p Stuttering

undercoverDrunk

Limp Gawd
I just started watching 1080p movies and have ran into some performance problems I thought I had covered. Files are compressed divx and xvid. Same result
Shuttle w/ 6150 nvidia
2 GB DDR2 800
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300
4850 via HDMI

There is no stuttering at 720p. What is the hang-up. This is a budget setup (-the video card request) and only cost $300 so I hoping software.
My guess:
Sound is software based...
Codecs are bad...
Avivo is doing nothing...
CPU is too puny...
Whadda think?

try core codec, really good for hidef files and now also uses the gpu where before it was just using software, but its supposedly the fastest codec out there for hidef stuff.

ugh... divx/xvid 1080p?

Use this codec.. it is the fastest.
http://www.free-codecs.com/Koepi_XviD_download.htm

CoreAVC is for H.264/x.264 videos.. and it still doesn't support GPU acceleration yet.

Really, you should be using L4.1 encoded x.264 movies/vids and take advantage of the UVD hardware acceleration from your ATI 4850. You would see under 20% CPU usage for the most part with the most intense 1080p videos. For that, you could use the PowerDVD 7.3/8.0 AVC codec.

Will this work in MCE or other standalones such as VLC / WMP / WMP classic??
Thanks, will check it out tonight.

check out newsgroups or bittorent

Mods dont like warez discussion, dont want the thread locked O_O

If your creating your own backups what system are you creating them on? If the system doing the encoding or creating the backups has some issues the audio / video sync can be off or delayed. Also can cause other issues with lag or stopping. Now the stopping could be the video encoding failing while the audio track continues, so the player skips the error to a video point past that and resumes play once the audio track catches up to that point.

If your able to play an HD disc (Blu Ray or HD DVD) on the system then playing backups should not be a big problem. Adding hardware support for the system will speed it up but if the file was properly encoded or compressed it should work. I cannot speak for how well the divx / xvid codecs work in the avi container. h264 and some others seem to have less problems with the mkv container.

(personal experience only, I dont know too much about how it all goes down these days, I only have 3 Blu Ray's and made a backup of one.)

The processor is fine, it's just having too much work to do because of codec issues.

if the encodes are not compatible with hardware acceleration and theres slow down then it is your cpu.

xvid/divx isn't the best for 1080p.. it can be linked with the codec itself causing the problem. His CPU has enough power.

For high def, L4.1 x264 in an MKV container is the way to go.

Thanks for the help, I tried some moderate OC and that didnt help any but encoding into x.264 did help. I'm not sure why the thumbnails don't load for these files in mce but I can still play them. Any way to put x.264 in a avi container ala *.avi?

FTR(for the record) using the xbox HD-DVD drive but I am am "aware" of alternatives.

Just re-encoded and using CoreAVC and all is perfect. Less then 30% cpu usage. Something is working can't tell if it is offloading successfully or just plain better codec either way. Yay!

Thanks.

Back