$1000 New Build!

I was hoping to get some help finding everything I need for a new gaming computer. It's been around 9 years since I have upgraded my current computer and decided to just build a new one. I don't know where to start with all the new stuff on the market.

WTF? Gaming and HD 5500u graphics do not belong in the same sentence if you want to play anything modern at any decent frame rate at 1080p. That being said OP, what types of games interest you?

Here is one just over $1000. Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0, Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

SSD in there and you could probably save some $$ if you are close to a MicroCenter with all of their combo deals with MB + Processor. I'd personally wait to find a deal on a SSD if you want one (you do) and go from there. Honestly, for home use most people will not notice much difference in any of the name brands if they are coming from platter based drives. Samsung, Sandisk, PNY, Crucial, etc....I have one or two from most of them.

I'd go with an intel i5, an affordable motherboard (I have had great luck with lower end gigabyte MBs under $100), high-end video card (nvidia 1070 is probably best for now), whatever you can afford in RAM (don't worry about getting the fastest, low-latency RAM money can afford. It doesn't really matter for gaming), a decent PSU (this more important than you can imagine), and a cheap case with decent air-flow.

Your video card is where you want to spend most your cash, especially if you're only upgrading rarely. If you can upgrade this every couple of years, maybe the nvidia 1060 or AMD 480 will work for you.

Back