10,000 rpm hard drives?

Turkish621

Gawd
Besides WD's Raptor, does any other company make ATA or SATA 10,000 Hard Drives? And have you heard of a new larger version coming out maybe 150gb or something?

There's 74.6 GB raptors coming out that are even faster than the first generation raptors, I believe they come in the same 36.7 GB size too. They're just an overall improvement on the first raptor. Look into those.

Originally posted by DJDishwateR
There's 74.6 GB raptors coming out that are even faster than the first generation raptors, I believe they come in the same 36.7 GB size too. They're just an overall improvement on the first raptor. Look into those.
Yes, the new Raptors are great.. but a little pricey.

A lot of people and newbs say "Well why the f&^* would i get a 74gb raptor when I can just get two 36gb raptors and run them in RAID?"
well they obviously dont know what they're talking about.. WD improved the speed on the 74gb and shaved off a few milliseconds... Buy that, and when you have more $$$ spend it on another faster 74gb and run that RAID :)

Originally posted by Darkstar559
Yes, the new Raptors are great.. but a little pricey.

A lot of people and newbs say "Well why the f&^* would i get a 74gb raptor when I can just get two 36gb raptors and run them in RAID?"
well they obviously dont know what they're talking about.. WD improved the speed on the 74gb and shaved off a few milliseconds... Buy that, and when you have more $$$ spend it on another faster 74gb and run that RAID :)

Still not going to beat 2 striped 36's :cool:

I don't know what you guys are doin gwith 36gbs but it wouldn't last me very long :eek:

2 raptor 74gb is pretty sexy but the price ohhh ahhhh ehhhh

How about using striped 36GB Raptors as the boot drive and a WD or Seagate 120+gb drive as your storage? Then you get the data security and storage capacity of a large drive and the speed of the Raptors.

:cool:

I'm still using a single 40GB Maxtor ATA133... just can't lay down $250 for a HDD.

Originally posted by superjohnny
How about using striped 36GB Raptors as the boot drive and a WD or Seagate 120+gb drive as your storage? Then you get the data security and storage capacity of a large drive and the speed of the Raptors.
While a single hd might be more reliable than a striped array, I wouldn't consider anything other than fault tolerant (mirrored, R5 etc.) data security. And always remember to backup after you floss ;)

Originally posted by Koslov
I don't know what you guys are doin gwith 36gbs but it wouldn't last me very long :eek:

2 raptor 74gb is pretty sexy but the price ohhh ahhhh ehhhh

there is a big difference between using a HDD for performance and one for storage, 90% of your data \ data access simply doesnt need that speed, OS, swapfile, video capture, games thats about it for a desktop\workstation

Back