1 Pc on network cannot see games hosted by others but when it hosts all is well?

Hard and Confused

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, got a PC in the house that used to be able to join any server hosted on another PC but now for some reason it cannot see games hosted on other PC's reguardless of the game but it can host and everyone else can see games hosted by it . . . wtf is goin on here?

The network is 100% wireless using a WRT54G2 router flashed with DDWRT. I haven't changed any settings on the router for any PC's though I did enable UPNP to try to fix the problem but it still persisted. As far as I know no settings have been changed on the problem PC and I went thru it today and double checked everything and it all seems normal so I don't know whats going on here.

Any clues?

---EDIT---

The problem PC is using XP Home

DHCP is enabled.

I'm not connected to any network but my own which is obvious by the "it can host and everyone else can see games hosted by it" statement so I don't know why that was even brought up.

Not using Hamachi or any other program like that.

Tried deleting the windows firewall settings for CoD4 and the like then relaunching and unblocking again and the same thing happens.

Tried turning off Windows Firewall alltogether.

No protocalls were ever changed even though I uninstalled the adapter, reinstalled it and checked the settings, released then renewed the adapter and nada.

Last edited:
ya, dido, the OS firewall is on and you allowed the ports for hosting but not connecting?

Its running XP Home and I tried turning off the windows firewall ( the only firewall on the machine ) and its still a no-go.

Also the problem PC won't see servers for the following games:

Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 5
Halo: Combat Evolved
Red Faction
Command and Conquer Renegade

Given all these games except maybe the 2 CoD games use different ports and I always setup the games and minimized the game to unblock the application in the windows firewall and all the games worked fine till about 2 weeks ago, I don't think its a firewall issue.

Correct protocols installed/configured correct? Firewall on any other machine by chance?

Double check Windows firewall
Double check for any 3rd party firewall or internet security suite
Run a TCP/Winsock repair utility

Go to another PC and ping this "game servers" IP address..do you get any replies?

Is it using wireless by chance? Check firewall settings on wireless adapter

If it's using wireless..are you connected to your own wireless network and not a neighbors by accident? (you wouldn't believe how many times I've seen this happen with people)

I had a problem with Hamachi being installed and taking presidence over the physical NIC in the box and disabling Hamachi helped.

statement so I don't know why that was even brought up.

Because sometimes we're busy..ya know..with the real world..like at work..getting caught up on the phone, or sudden remote sessions to clients servers, or...or...

...and in the half hour or an hour a reply of ours sits up there in edit mode..as we put ideas in it when we get a chance..since it's voluntary help..sometimes all the points made in the original post get overlooked. Excuse me, stepping outta this post now.

Back