1 modem, 2 routers

Doc7string

n00b
Hello, I'm new here and am hoping I can get some help. First off, I'm a surgeon, not a computer guru, so if I can't simply plug it in and have it work, I get sad. In other words, please speak really simply when giving me your advice (thanks in advance). So, on to my question. I have a Chamberlain garage door opener which was wirelessly connected to my old Apple Extreme router, allowing me to check, via an app on my phone, whether my garage door was left open, and allows me to close it from anywhere using the app (love it). Well, I recently updated my wifi to Netgears Orbi with 2 Orbi extensions (a bit of overkill but great coverage- even outside, 100 yards away from my house). Well, unfortunately my garage door opener won't connect to the orbi. From what I've read, it doesnt work with dual band routers (ugh).

I've researched online, made attempts to contact Chamberlain (they don't respond) and I cant find a solution. Well, recently my Xfinity supplied (rented) Arris modem just died, so instead of renting, I decided to buy a new one (today). I purchased a Netgear CM1150V (I use Xfinity for my phone as well). It installed easily and my wifi is running great, but after examining the modem I got an idea. The Arris has one ethernet port on the back, the Netgear has 4! "Aha", I thought, "maybe I can plug the Orbi into one ethernet port and the Apple into another, run both, and connect the door opener to the Apple while using the Orbi for everything else". No dice. So far I can get one or the other to receive a signal from the modem, but not both (double ugh). Am I missing something simple? Is this not at all feasible? How can I get both routers to work independently so I can keep my fantastic Orbi coverage and never have to turn around at the end of my street and drive back home to see if I remembered to close my garage door. I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance for any ideas/answers!

Despite the CM1150V having multiple ethernet ports, you can't hook up multiple routers to it. The configuration Comcast supplied to it when you registered it to their network won't allow it (if the modem itself is even capable supporting of such a topology).

It's odd that the Chamberlain won't work if both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands of your wireless access point (AP), but not unprecedented (not an issue I've seen in a while). Are you sure there's no firmware update available for it that fixes the issue? Also, check the settings of the Orbi to see if it allows for setting unique SSIDs (the network name broadcast by the AP) for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Isolating the two should help the confused Chamberlain.

Despite the CM1150V having multiple ethernet ports, you can't hook up multiple routers to it. The configuration Comcast supplied to it when you registered it to their network won't allow it (if the modem itself is even capable supporting of such a topology).

It's odd that the Chamberlain won't work if both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands of your wireless access point (AP), but not unprecedented (not an issue I've seen in a while). Are you sure there's no firmware update available for it that fixes the issue? Also, check the settings of the Orbi to see if it allows for setting unique SSIDs (the network name broadcast by the AP) for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Isolating the two should help the confused Chamberlain.
I will look into that and let you know what I find. I may have questions for you regarding said etc. As I said, I'm not very versed in this stuff. Performing a choledochduodenostomy, yes, but computers, not so much

Just plug the wan port of the router that's connected to the garage into an Ethernet port on your new router.

He wants plug and work.
Yes the Orbi dies have WAN ports but when I tried plugging the apple in to it, it assumed the same "identity" (sorry about my ignorance in correct terminology) as the Orbi and it didn't work. Is there another step I need to do to make this work? Thanks all for helping.

I still need to get you the model of my opener. Will get that as soon as I can.

No, you need to connect the Orbi LAN port(s) to the Apple WAN port.

This will give you two WiFi connections. If they're named the same with the same password you'll need to change one or the other so their names and passwords do not overlap.

This will give you two WiFi connections. If they're named the same with the same password you'll need to change one or the other so their names and passwords do not overlap.
Will try tonight. If this works I will feel foolish but also extremely happy. Will let you know. Thank you!

The only issue I think you may run into is the IP subnet for both routers. If they're the same subnet you may need to change one. Most likely they are both 192.168.1.xxx if that's the case then you'll need to change one to 192.168.0.xxx so you won't have conflicting IP addresses.

"Well, unfortunately my garage door opener won't connect to the orbi. From what I've read, it doesnt work with dual band routers (ugh)."

Would turning off one of the bands (say, the 5GHz one) work?

The only issue I think you may run into is the IP subnet for both routers. If they're the same subnet you may need to change one. Most likely they are both 192.168.1.xxx if that's the case then you'll need to change one to 192.168.0.xxx so you won't have conflicting IP addresses.
Pardon my ignorance, but do I simply plug my computer into the apple router with an ethernet cable, go to settings and change a number, are there specific numbers that need to be changed... thank you for your patience!

Yes, you'll login to the Apple router and change the routers IP range. On my phone so I can't look up the manual to see exactly where or what they call it. You'll also need to change the routers IP address if they're the same as the other router. Use the same subnet you change the router to.

"Well, unfortunately my garage door opener won't connect to the orbi. From what I've read, it doesnt work with dual band routers (ugh)."

Would turning off one of the bands (say, the 5GHz one) work?
Yes, you'll login to the Apple router and change the routers IP range. On my phone so I can't look up the manual to see exactly where or what they call it. You'll also need to change the routers IP address if they're the same as the other router. Use the same subnet you change the router to.
I will try tonight and let you know how it goes. I really appreciate the help! Great forum!!

You do realize that, by doing this, the Apple AP will probably be in contention with the Orbi on at least one WiFi channel? The two could end up stepping on each other and basically kill connectivity for everything.

You do realize that, by doing this, the Apple AP will probably be in contention with the Orbi on at least one WiFi channel? The two could end up stepping on each other and basically kill connectivity for everything.

New to Wifi devices?

That wont happen. Worst thing that will happen is if both are using the same SSID and Password and devices bounce around between the two APs getting confused. Hence why I told him he needs to make sure they're named differently.

Overlapping wifi channels happens A LOT in multi dwelling locations.

Edit with a screenshot
Screenshot_20190828-193337.png

Guess most of these wireless aps will be causing connection issues with overlapping...

New to Wifi devices?

That wont happen. Worst thing that will happen is if both are using the same SSID and Password and devices bounce around between the two APs getting confused. Hence why I told him he needs to make sure they're named differently.

Overlapping wifi channels happens A LOT in multi dwelling locations.

Edit with a screenshot
View attachment 183552

Guess most of these wireless aps will be causing connection issues with overlapping...

No. Are you new to mesh and range extenders and how they work?

Assuming Netgear didn't botch the implementation, the central and satellite units will each be using a unique WiFi channel, plus an additional channel for the backhaul (usually 5 GHz) between the central and satellites. So, for the OP's setup of three Orbi units, it means that 3 2.4 GHz and 4 5 GHz channels are potentially in use. For 5 GHz it's not such a big deal, as there are many channels to choose from and no overlap. But for 2.4 GHz it becomes potentially problematic. All three of the non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) may be taken.

Now, if OP plugs in the old Apple AP, it will also be using a 2.4 GHz channel in the same vicinity as the Orbi. It can't help but step on one or two of the channels that are already in use locally. Now you have a huge contention issue. If the Apple supports 5 GHz, there's also the possibility it'll be set to use a channel in that range also in use by the Orbi setup, worst-case being the backhaul channel and knocking the Orbi satellites off of the central unit.

Nearly all of the overlapping devices shown in your graphic are way down in the <-65 dBm range (only channel 6 is of any real concern). Effectively out of range to be of any real consequence. Plugging in the old AP right on top of the new one is going to produce a relatively much stronger signal and is certain to cause issues if the channels overlap. Also, just because you're seeing some overlap doesn't mean that those units are, depending on how they are distributed (e.g., you may be in the middle of all of them).

Well I tried it. Got signals from both sources (orbi and apple) but the apple signal shows up then disappears on my devices. I changed address numbers multiple times was told by my router to switch the apple to "bridged" and the lights on both routers suggest they are working., (the numbers I used for the new address were purely guess work as I have no idea what the numbers between each . mean and which should be altered). InitiallWould it be easier if I split the incoming coaxial signal from Xfinity to 2 separate modems then placed the apple on that 2nd modem? Or does that lead to a whole other set of issues . I truly do appreciate all of your input. I realize how hard it is to diagnose from afar!

No, you don't need to put the apple in bridge mode. Leave it in router ap mode.

InitiallWould it be easier if I split the incoming coaxial signal from Xfinity to 2 separate modems then placed the apple on that 2nd modem? Or does that lead to a whole other set of issues .

I really doubt Comcast is going to allow multiple cable modems on a single residential account. But even if you could, it wouldn't change anything.

Back