1.8 Duron VS 1.1 Tualatin?

Kroz

2[H]4U
So which would fold faster? Tualatin is a celeron tualatin1.1 with 256k cache...if I am not mistaken the durons have 64k cache.

How cache dependant is the folding client? Is folding a purly clock depandant task? Does FSB play an important role?

Thanks

Kroz

p.s. Reason for question is that I have a contact with a suppilier that can get me 10 Tualatin 1.1 Celerons for a VERY good price so I started to think of applications for them and folding came to mind.

I'm in the process of upgraing a few machines from P3 450's to Tualatin Celeron 1400's. I have one folding now, and its about to turn in its first WU. I dont have any comparison though, because I havent done any calculations on PPDG with them.

They do well folding, but with the speed difference, youre probably better off with the 1.8 Duron. Cache helps, but with the Durons 192K cache (L1 + L2), the difference between that and the 256K (I think.. because L1 is copied into L2) cache of the celeron will make very little difference.

If you have another application for them, like if you could get a blade setup with them, that probably wouldnt be a bad idea - tualatin celerons can overclock well. Those 1100 Celerons should do 1463MHz when brought up to a 133MHz FSB - and they should have no problem getting there.

.:Ttocs

.:Ttocs

Even as a huge proponent of the Tualatin Celerons, go with the Duron for the pure clockspeed advantage. There seems to be little advantage in larger cache(or even higher bus speeds) for Folding, unlike something like Seti where a higher bus speed on a Celeron results in a good 5-10% better performance at the same clock speed, and the larger 512KB cache of the PIII-S or northwood P4 can add another 10%.

And Ttocs is right, the Celeron's L1 is copied to the L2.

I'd go with the durons, they turn a bit less in than the athlons... but MUCH more than any celeron.

Originally posted by Kroz
So which would fold faster? Tualatin is a celeron tualatin1.1 with 256k cache...if I am not mistaken the durons have 64k cache.

Overclocked they could probably catch a stock Duron however I would get something more future proof. Folding@Home WUs are only going to get more complex. What folds good now might not in 6mo to a year. The mobo/ram for a Tualatin has no room left in it for growth. A Duron/XP/P4 board does.

Originally posted by turmelle
Overclocked they could probably catch a stock Duron however I would get something more future proof. Folding@Home WUs are only going to get more complex. What folds good now might not in 6mo to a year. The mobo/ram for a Tualatin has no room left in it for growth. A Duron/XP/P4 board does.

Good advice - I used to turn in a lot of work, for the time, on a Celeron@450. Now it's barely worth the electricity to keep it running.

my 1.3 tutilan celeron puts out some crazy numbers... dunno, maybe chipset has to do with it? its some serverworks chipset, dont remember the model

my 1.3 tutilan celeron puts out some crazy numbers... dunno, maybe chipset has to do with it? its some serverworks chipset, dont remember the model

So there in lies my question, what is the sweet spot for folding? High FSB, Good memory bandwidth? Raw GHz? More RAM?

I dont want to just throw money into a blade and see what happens. I want to Fold as [H]ard as possiable. I do NOT plan on getting some P4 EE's or A64's but I want something that will fold well. As it stands it looks like my best bet is 3 Abit SG-71's MoBo's ($49.61 * 3) 3 Intel P4 2.4C ($168.64 *3) 3 Sticks Kingston ValueRam PC3200 256 Megs ($37.98 *3)

I dont think that I will have a problem getting the boards/Ram/CPU's up to 200 FSB. The problems I see are that the SG-71's wont have PXE 2.0 compatable Lan connections so I might need to use pen drives or figure out another way of network booting them.

And I thought I had decissions to make when I sorted out my Main Rig! :D

Kroz

Can anyone point me to a link where a folder has some info posted running Xeon CPU's? I was looking at a pair of 2.0 GHz P4 Xeon CPU's with 512k Cache and an Asus PC DL Deluxe MoBo. its a little cheaper than the 3 P4 setup, but this way I can say I have a dual Xeon folding machine :D

If it is worth it that is;

Kroz

Originally posted by gnewbury
Good advice - I used to turn in a lot of work, for the time, on a Celeron@450. Now it's barely worth the electricity to keep it running.
gnewbury, I know what you mean. I'm retiring a few of these at the office and I can remember when they were just about the top of the line for me - and it wasn't that long ago! :)

Can anyone point me to a link where a folder has some info posted running Xeon CPU's? I was looking at a pair of 2.0 GHz P4 Xeon CPU's with 512k Cache and an Asus PC DL Deluxe MoBo. its a little cheaper than the 3 P4 setup, but this way I can say I have a dual Xeon folding machine :D

If it is worth it that is;

Kroz
Duallys are always a good idea. A Xeon folds just like a P4, so if you can find a way to get a dual Xeon system at some affordable price, that's the way to go. We usually go with dual Athlon XP's out of price concerns, but a dual Xeon system would work well also. The only concern I would have is that you might be stuck at 2 GHz with those Xeons. You'd have a lot more OC potential and future headroom with a nice 2.4 P4 or something like that. It might be cool to have a dual Xeon system, but cool doesn't help the WU output! ;)

So there in lies my question, what is the sweet spot for folding? High FSB, Good memory bandwidth? Raw GHz? More RAM?

I dont want to just throw money into a blade and see what happens. I want to Fold as [H]ard as possiable. I do NOT plan on getting some P4 EE's or A64's but I want something that will fold well. As it stands it looks like my best bet is 3 Abit SG-71's MoBo's ($49.61 * 3) 3 Intel P4 2.4C ($168.64 *3) 3 Sticks Kingston ValueRam PC3200 256 Megs ($37.98 *3)

I dont think that I will have a problem getting the boards/Ram/CPU's up to 200 FSB. The problems I see are that the SG-71's wont have PXE 2.0 compatable Lan connections so I might need to use pen drives or figure out another way of network booting them.

And I thought I had decissions to make when I sorted out my Main Rig! :D

Kroz

if you have the money go for it

i am poor so amd is my lesser of two evils

Originally posted by Mattman:

Duallys are always a good idea. A Xeon folds just like a P4, so if you can find a way to get a dual Xeon system at some affordable price, that's the way to go. We usually go with dual Athlon XP's out of price concerns, but a dual Xeon system would work well also. The only concern I would have is that you might be stuck at 2 GHz with those Xeons. You'd have a lot more OC potential and future headroom with a nice 2.4 P4 or something like that. It might be cool to have a dual Xeon system, but cool doesn't help the WU output! ;)
The ASUS PC-DL Deluxe should accept the latest Xeons and it even supports OC, which is great for a SMP board. With dual HT Xeons, he could run four clients and see a ~20% increase in production over running just two clients. I can't think of another system that can outproduce a dual 3GHz+ HT Xeons running four clients.

Back