[email protected] should I upgrade??

kennyc28

Gawd
my setup is in my sig do you think just some extra ram would make me happy
when I burn cd's I have like 5mb of memory left I have took out everything running in the background It says I use 195mb of mem but its saying it always page filing??? I hope I have enough patience to wait for 775 and i925 oh yeah I got a insider tip comcast is moving to a 3mb connection for the same price that is going to be fast. I cap out at 1.8mb I was asking how to connect faster and he told me I was capping out most of the time so thats good. I come out with sht out of left field so dont mind me

There's only one person who knows the answer for that question : you. If you have problems with anything working too slow then it might be worth changing (with 2.5 Ghz and 9800pro you should be ok for several more months.
Oh yeah but getting some nic ram will not hurt as you can use it later when you switch later (unless you want to get expensive, crappy DDR-II with extra high latencies)

Paging is inevitable whether you have 128 MB of RAM or 128 GB of RAM.

But your paging will take much less of a hit if you are using a gig of ram as compared to 512mb.

So yes, there will most likley still be paging involved with any system of any memory capacity.

I bought an extra 512mb luckily I found I the exact same memory as I have now so I can use it with my dual channel memory board whenever I get it I am going to wait until 775 boards come out

Do the following in order:

1. Wait for Socket 775
2. Wait for Tejas
3. Wait for 64-bit version of Tejas (if its not 64-bit from the beginning)
4. Wait for newer stepping of Tejas
5. Wait for Longhorn.

That should take care of any upgrades for the next decade.

Originally posted by Mark Larson
Do the following in order:

1. Wait for Socket 775
2. Wait for Tejas
3. Wait for 64-bit version of Tejas (if its not 64-bit from the beginning)
4. Wait for newer stepping of Tejas
5. Wait for Longhorn.

That should take care of any upgrades for the next decade.

In this game there is ALWAYS something better around the coner.
So really it's up to him. :)

If I were him I would just grab a cheap 875P motherboard and grab a 2.4C and overclock the dog crap out of it.
It will do him quiet a while and you can slap a prescott in it when the steppings get better. ;)

These parts are also fairly cheap now. That's what I would do.
Heck I upgraded for HT alone but boy I'm glad I did.
I would not trade HT for 500 more Mhz without HT.

Hey bk, what's a chaper p4 motherboard you would reccomend for overclocking a 2.4c ? I was looking to couple a 2.4c with an IC7-Max3 until I realized "Hey that's a $200 fkin board..." I mean I can't justify spending $400 on a processor and mobo when I can get an amd board with a 2500 for under $200.. I think that intel justifies charging more for the chip because of HT? At least that's why I'm really looking into a p4 chip myself.

I agree with topslop except the amd part not that its cheaper but I am an intel fan no stability problems and for when I forget to plug in the cpu fan so its idiot proof. I have always wanted to try amd I had a old k2 proccessor that died on me in 2 months ever since then I havent tried it. but I agree 200.00 for a motherboard is alot and to boot were going to need a new one in a couple months thats what I dont understand Are they trying to make all the money they can from the people who dont know the 775 boards are coming out

For a cheap route, get a 1700+ Athlon XP with these specific numbers: DLT3C or DUT3C, and (here's the kicker) JIUHB or AIUHB starting the second line. These guys OC like mad, and they sell for $35-$50 around these forums. Problem is, they are pretty rare - but there is no better performer for the price out there today. Then grab an AN35N Ultra for around $50. For around $85-$100, you can have a fast system that runs reliably.

Now, I know, this is the Intel forums, and recommending AMD is blasphemy... but, I think this is the optimal solution for him in this case. And just so there's no mistake, let me say that I'm running a 2.4C in my main box right now... but for me, it all comes down to the price/performance ratio.

-SEAL

I'm in your shoes I hold the system as it is until Socket T is out for 2 months and prices come down. Mid summer should be your ideal buying point in order to maximize your upgrade and your dollars.

Originally posted by SEALTeamSix
For a cheap route, get a 1700+ Athlon XP with these specific numbers: DLT3C or DUT3C, and (here's the kicker) JIUHB or AIUHB starting the second line. These guys OC like mad, and they sell for $35-$50 around these forums. Problem is, they are pretty rare - but there is no better performer for the price out there today. Then grab an AN35N Ultra for around $50. For around $85-$100, you can have a fast system that runs reliably.

Now, I know, this is the Intel forums, and recommending AMD is blasphemy... but, I think this is the optimal solution for him in this case. And just so there's no mistake, let me say that I'm running a 2.4C in my main box right now... but for me, it all comes down to the price/performance ratio.

-SEAL

Recommending AMD is ok by me but recommending a 1700+ over a 2.5 P4 is not ok. Thats a step back. I've got alot of boxes running at 2ghz with the 1700+, good chip, but not going to tell someone to take a step back (2ghz amd is 2400+).

See my previous post for upgrading.

Back