1.5TB Seagate 7200rpm 32MB $150 w/FS @ ZZF (NO MIR!!!)

Unless your drive is failing, it's a firmware update. Nothing to replace.

But the problem on that end that still isn't resolved is the OS-related nonsense.

FWIW - someone on the forums contacted Seagate for this supposed firmware for Linux users.

They were told "we do not support Linux."

This is the absolute retarded nonsense from Seagate that needs to f-ing stop.

You now have a potential fix, but getting the updated firmware is put on hold due to incorrectly answering a "what OS are you using?" question.

Personally, if I owned one, I would just call, and tell them the situation, and the firmware update, and refuse to answer any OS-related question.

Frankly, why doesn't Seagate just put this firmware up as a download? I would suppose it's a beta firmware.

If that's the case, they need to educate their staff on the issue pronto, so those affected can get their hands on the beta firmware without being screwed with.

Look, Seagate announces there's a new firmware for Linux users, and to call to get it. You call, and are told Linux isn't supported, and basically are told to go screw yourself. I don't even own one of these drives yet, and that treatment pisses me off. So I can imagine the owners are feeling pretty hot...

A Seagate mod is suggesting someone didn't get the memo... I work for a company that operates world-wide, and we're all aware that a single e-mail is enough to clarify a situation. And my company (dare I say) isn't exactly necessarily the most efficient company communication-wise, either...

This all just smells of the issue I had with Seagate a few years ago, where I had a drive that failed SMART, I determined the drive was going bad, Seagate agreed the drive was going bad, but since the drive would still pass a surface scan, an RMA was refused. My RAID controller refused the drive due to the SMART failure, so I was forced to just put it in a spare machine and let it spin until it actually failed. (I should have just lied and said it stopped working already, but I couldn't get myself to re-call and just lie...)

Five-year warranties are nothing if they're going to have retards at the wheel...

Eh, before you say it, yeah, I agree, if I'm this upset, I should just go with another manufacturer. WD/Samsung/Hitachi will probably have a 1.5TB+ drive here soon enough... Or by the time I run out of storage space...

Rants aside, I'd like to know what makes this 1.5TB so special that this issue never cropped up in a previous drive? Although I hear the 1TB drives had issues, too, but I think that's just a reliability issue. Wonder also, as others have wondered, if this issue is why other manufs haven't issued a 1.5TB drive yet...?

Pretty bad that storage demands are so high that we desire these huge drives so bad. :) (I still like my four-750GB-drive 2TB raid-5 arrays, but the 1.5TB drives would be cheaper...)

Dude you saved me from giving my own rant on the issue. I'm totally ticked off about how Seagate is handling this fiasco. FWIW I've been running without freezes on Vista32 with the temporary fix someone else suggested by disabling write caching. Faggate needs to fully acknowledge the issue and take responsibility for this crap and make a sincere effort in resolving this issue.

damn i wanted to get 11 of these by march/april. should these issues be resolved by then?

Then there's the issue of drive failure... .. ... losing prono collection = death to all. I rly rly rlllyy need a bigger drive but the horror stories are plain scary.

I realize the merger, buyout, what ever happened back in 2005 but has everyone forgotten all the Maxtor horror stories?

Just about any forum you travel that has a drive thread you will see this over and over again plus everyone comparing model number issues especially the last two digits.

That said, neither Seagate nor any retailer of any reputation is going to knowingly sell a problem product, it does neither party any good.

Another issue here is, I just know everyone backs up all data on a regular basis, right? It reaches a point where one huge drive simply doesn’t make sense. Imagine a pair of these in RAID? What media do you use to back up that much data…another hard drive…Heh; there is an irony in there somewhere:p;)

Backing up data.. a lot of us don't have established incomes or can afford a server farm *coughstudents*. Backing up 3TB worth of data is going to cost... ~$300 , ouchies when we could use that for 3TB more and 1TB these days is already not a big number. Whether Seagate knew about these drives is irrelevant, that these drives are having a slew of failure rates is a major cause for concern. Drives fail, sure, nothing's perfect, but when so many of them have problems?

I installed the firmware linked to above and so far so good. Watched a couple of tv shows and movies and no freezes *knock on wood*.

Backing up data.. a lot of us don't have established incomes or can afford a server farm *coughstudents*. Backing up 3TB worth of data is going to cost... ~$300 , ouchies when we could use that for 3TB more and 1TB these days is already not a big number.

I believe that if a person has 3TB worth of genuinely IMPORTANT data that they absolutely have to back up, they can probably afford to do so. 3TB indicates to me they are probably running a company generating media content, probably HD video or audio production. At any rate, it is work that they would be compensated for.

I would guess that a lot of folks have more like 20GB of truly important data that needs to be backed up, and the rest is probably TV shows, movies, pr0n, etc. that aren't necessarily of high personal value.

This could be off the mark, but I haven't ever met anyone with 3TB of important personal data. Hell, you can fit your entire personal genome in 3GB. :p

Then there's the issue of drive failure... .. ... losing prono collection = death to all. I rly rly rlllyy need a bigger drive but the horror stories are plain scary.

lulz

Agreed. However, all they need to do is send out the firmware a few times and it will spread all on its own.

Googling "sd1a firmware" gives this as the first result:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15126603

Great find!

From the other post:

Seagate firmware SD1A available for download here:

http://www.bigupload.com/files/WKT7AXJIFR/SeagateFlash15tb.rar.html

Instructions:

1. Verify the sticker on your hard disk matches these:

Model: ST31500341AS
P/N: 9JU138-300 (or 9JU138-336)
Firmware: SD17 (or SD15, SD16, SD18, SD19)
S/N: doesn't matter

2. Burn the ISO to CD

3. Boot from the CD.

It is recommended to physically disconnect all the other ATA/SATA devices when running step #3.

---------
Upgrade file for Seagate ST31500341AS SD1A
Use for 9JU138 -300 and -336 part numbers only (firmware SD15 -SD19). DO NOT use on any other part number or firmware.

With regards to the steps quoted by ST6 above, do I burn an image of the ISO to the CD, or make a data CD....

I just don't burn these types of DVD's very often.

*EDIT* oops, the info is in the read-me.

Dude you saved me from giving my own rant on the issue. I'm totally ticked off about how Seagate is handling this fiasco. FWIW I've been running without freezes on Vista32 with the temporary fix someone else suggested by disabling write caching. Faggate needs to fully acknowledge the issue and take responsibility for this crap and make a sincere effort in resolving this issue.

Despite the fantastic price, I am weary of buying one of these since I got a 7200.11 640 a few months back. It had some pretty nasty latency issues in AHCI mode, but RAID mode performed perfectly. I contacted Seagate numerous times and they didn't even bother looking into it.

Frankly, I am sick of Seagate's service as of late. I'd rather wait until WD brings out a 1.5TB drive.

Back