6600gt

LongShotHero

Limp Gawd
One of my buddies just got an eVGA AGP 6600gt for his older dell system. He is running 50-52C idle and getting artifacts(he hasn't sent me screenshots and he went to bed for the night). Is his card to hot, or is it just messed up? I've heard video cards are designed to run pretty hot but I'm not sure if thats too hot.

IT is not Too Hot, especially for 600gt. It is a little above average temp but it is not too bad. I think he got a bad card :(

My 6600GT ran 55c idle.

His power supply is most likely too weak, try it in a computer with a better power supply.

well, 52 isn't popping out as a big deal, but you should have him download rivatuner, play his games, and then quit out to see the temps.

post back the info you get; if the temps aren't going very high, then i'd say forget it and RMA, but if the temps are going high he can just remove the hsf, clean and pop some fresh as5 on it, and replace.

RMA it if you are not satisfied.
Not worth the hasstle of buying a new cooler cuz that may not work either.

My idles at 55-60 and cranks up to 70-74 100% load... So his is fine... for temps anyway.

Patrick1 said:
RMA it if you are not satisfied.
Not worth the hasstle of buying a new cooler cuz that may not work either.
Plus if you do replace a cooler it might void warranty? I know some companies do it.

Borgschulze said:
My 6600GT ran 55c idle.

His power supply is most likely too weak, try it in a computer with a better power supply.

bingo! isn't the required wattage, at least i know for a PCIe model, 350w? i doubt the dell's has enough juice, i'd put money on this one. ;)

TheJackal said:

I'm like a God, crowds will cheer, emotions will be felt, champagne will rain from the heavens, people will know the answer to their problems.

Ok, so I talked to him again, and he told me he can't get any screenshots because it doesn't happen all the time. I've got an extra psu i'll try out with him tommorrow or monday

I've got PCI-E so i can't. I'm going to get a screenshot up in a sec

artifact.jpg

he is artifacting in 2d

Looks pretty bad. Try out different PSU, if that doesn't help RMA the card back.

Make sure the agp bus is at 66mhz, I got a msi vid card once that wouldn't take any agp overclocking.

be carefull with another psu.dell had a bad habit of going propriatry on the pin-out on the motherboard power connecter a few years back.not sure if that is so with this one,but just FYI.

Back