Official Backlight Bleeding Complaint Thread for Dell 2005fpw

noktekniq

Limp Gawd
Official Backlight Complaint Thread for Dell 2005fpw

this thread was made just because i have been through this forum for a while and i recently purchased my Dell 2005fpw for 370 shipped from dell.com. i recieved a A02 October revision and got some horrible backlight bleeding on all 4 corners of the moniter.

i wish all of you can post in here of your experience and how your trying to get this resolved. i wish dell can do something about there moniters.

please post pictures of results and any other issue regarding the 2005fpw or other dell widescreen aspect moniters. i will be posting my own set of pictures too for a backup as my reference toward others.

I also got a A02 revision Dell... three of them. Two of them had backlight bleeding, one had lots of dead pixels. How I'm dealing with the situation? Never buying from Dell again.

OCTOBER A02

bad backlight bleeding from upper right and lower left

called dell the same day i got the display and they claim they will have a new one out to me as soon as they're back in stock. this was tuesday night and i have yet to get anything.

anasazi said:
OCTOBER A02

bad backlight bleeding from upper right and lower left

called dell the same day i got the display and they claim they will have a new one out to me as soon as they're back in stock. this was tuesday night and i have yet to get anything.
i don't think they can guarentee for it to have no dead pixel or bleeding issues. how can this be resolved? keep sending in the moniter until you get a perfect one? ...

i think i should call up dell and ask for a manager or something to coompensate for my time lost and money spent on a bad moniter.

SOME PLEASE CALL FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! :D

i got some minor bleeding on the lower left on mine but ill live with it its the april A02 edition from mexico

purple_haze said:
i got some minor bleeding on the lower left on mine but ill live with it its the april A02 edition from mexico
mine is from mexico too. i think the ones from mexico had the problems.. iono. :confused:

noktekniq said:
i don't think they can guarentee for it to have no dead pixel or bleeding issues. how can this be resolved? keep sending in the moniter until you get a perfect one? ...

i think i should call up dell and ask for a manager or something to coompensate for my time lost and money spent on a bad moniter.

SOME PLEASE CALL FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!
Considering that this has been a known issue since the 2005FPW was released over a year ago, it would have been a lot less work to just buy a different monitor...

xonik said:
Considering that this has been a known issue since the 2005FPW was released over a year ago, it would have been a lot less work to just buy a different monitor...
Thats what I thought, just buy a different monitor & I did, its a Sony brand & it has more backlight bleeding than the Dell & I didnt notice it till I tried the Dell & was looking for it. I think you should go for a CRT if the backlight bleeds bothers you so much. Besides, I think people gripe so they can keep returnning thier monitor to get a new one. ;) :D :eek:

unless your really anal or you read hardware related forums such as these, the vast majority of people wouldn't have a problem with the backlight bleeding.

that being said, i am both very anal and read these forums, so i want a perfect one :)

it really doesn't bother me though since they'll just keep sending me new ones. i'm never without a monitor and even though it has problems its not so bad that i can't use it.

3 year warranty :)

just make sure you don't call and tell them your returning it for something small, like 2 dead pixels or something. if your returning it for a new one you gotta make it look very bad, like 'dozens of bad pixels' or 'backlight bleeding that covers half of the screen' or 'the usb ports don't work at all' ... pick and choose, just don't tell them 'two dead pixels' because they'll laugh and tell you too bad.

anasazi said:
3 year warranty :)

Is this the lowest warranty they come with ?

Mine is an Oct. A02 Mexican POS with bleeding on bottom left and upper right that gets to cover the whole screen.

i will have to call them in tomorrow or today if they are open to complain about my moniter and ask for a new one. they better not give me one with dead pixels or higher backlight issues or i'm gonna complaint to MANAGER or some sort then to BBB :(

have to say that the good still outnumbers the bad as far as backlight issues and the 2005 go... I got mine in August and had no dead pix and the only time backlight is an issue is when you are looking at an all black immage with all the ambient light off. 4 family members also have picked up this monitor since then and all are the same as mine. just my 2 cents.

got my replacement, i havn't decided if i'm going to send this one back yet or not

dell2005FPW2_backlight_blee.jpg

it looks bad in the picture because the camera really picks out the light, however in real life its still much better than my old monitor. the lower left is still just about as bad as my old one but the rest of the monitor is just fine.

another thing i discovered, the USB functionality works in this one where on the last one it just kept saying "unrecognized usb device", so it turns out the usb on the old monitor was bad.

i am callin customer caRe right now to get this thing resolve. and if they don't get me a replacement im going to be taking extreme action!

edited: 5:45pm
after talking on the phone with some CS support they needed to transfer me to the hardware sectino of the DELL support group. after 7 mins of long waiting. i was put through to a software support people. which was completely idiotic... now i'm on hold again... will edit with lastest in a bit

i've decided this LCD is going back as well

i'm going to call them on it tomorrow

I got a 2005fpw about 6 months ago with a good coupon, first one had bad bleeding, had it replaced and the next one didn't have as bad of bleeding, but had 6 dead pixels, just decided to send it back for a refund after that and stick with my 21" CRT.

crazy shit...after calling tech for 75 mins... they did not even get the RMA ready. only gave me a claim number. FCK! can't even get thing straight. if they dont' get things straight i'm gonna be asking BBB to jump in

noktekniq said:
crazy shit...after calling tech for 75 mins... they did not even get the RMA ready. only gave me a claim number. FCK! can't even get thing straight. if they dont' get things straight i'm gonna be asking BBB to jump in

call:

800 624 9897

they're closed right now

for future reference, if your trying to call about any dell product under 21 days old and your talking to an indian, your at the wrong place.

well, the replacement dell LCD just broke. it won't turn on, just displays "Cannot Display this Mode"

grrr

anasazi said:
well, the replacement dell LCD just broke. it won't turn on, just displays "Cannot Display this Mode"

grrr
what was amazing was that last night i did not see any of the bleeding... and thenit magically appeared again.. ["note" i made sure i wasn't drunk or halucinating when looking at the moniter]

i'm in dell hell

exchanges:
877-894-3355

now they won't talk to me because i've hit my exchange limit, they told me to call tech support at 1 800 624 9896

anasazi said:
i'm in dell hell

exchanges:
877-894-3355

now they won't talk to me because i've hit my exchange limit, they told me to call tech support at 1 800 624 9896

So how many times have you exchanged the monitor??? :rolleyes:

BigRigDriver said:
So how many times have you exchanged the monitor??? :rolleyes:

Yeah for real? I just bought two when they were $350 ea in Michigan and I've got to send one back. Cant watch a movie on it cause the tips are purty grey. The other is OK though.

How many times?

-D

they're sending my 3ed monitor, should be here soon.

if this 3ed monitor is bad i'm just going to return it and go to bestbuy and get the gateway monitor.

i give up

3ed monitor was even worse, build date A02 NOVEMBER 2005

honestly, if it didn't take 3 hours on the phone to set up an exchange with someone who doesn't speak english, i'd probably just order another exchange monitor --- but i'm tired of dealing with it. i'd rather pay $100 more for the gateway monitor and be able to return it to bestbuy when i get a bad one.

I RMA'd my first (ordered two) and the second one was way better than the first, though not as black as my buddies 19. Its black enought though, for the second screen, as my primary is perfect black.

They overnighted mine... I was pretty pleased with the service. All three of the ones I touched wede october a02 hecho in mexico.

D

Yo also, I dont think you're talking to the right people if they dont speak English. Call the number on your return slip, and that should get you someone in TX or whatever in America.

So I just got my 2nd 2005fpw its a November 2005 A03 and it is perfect!! no dead pixels, no backlight issues. I hope all of these new ones they are rolling out are fixed right and I just didn't get lucky. Any A03 users with backlight problems?

why does anyone buy these? I bought the 2405 and its isn't that great either, but not as bad as this.

I think people buy em cause they're so damn cheap! Where else can I get a 20.1 in screen for $350 shipped? I also think that we're more selective than the average consumer. I mean, how often does the average consumer see a mostly black or dark screen? Hardly ever, unless they're reading Hardocp with all the blacks and reds. My buddy has a screen he bought at best buy, something small and crappy, hes got dead pixels.. some read some black, and back light bleeding so bad there is no black its just grey. He could care less!

So I think we're selective, and that dell is like a high class wal mart!

-D

Xiro said:
So I just got my 2nd 2005fpw its a November 2005 A03 and it is perfect!! no dead pixels, no backlight issues. I hope all of these new ones they are rolling out are fixed right and I just didn't get lucky. Any A03 users with backlight problems?

Hey could you take a picture of your screen in the dark so I could compare to mine? I dont have any dead pixels but I want to know what you think perfect is!

THanks!

-D

A03? son of a bitch

i wonder if they fixed it with the A03 models? if they have a decent sale after christmas i might try 2005FPW again if they're sending out A03 models now.

otherwise i'm just going to get the gateway screen, i went and looked at it today at bestbuy and it seemed pretty nice, but it was hard to tell since they had the thing scaling 600x800.

xonik said:
that is what i was thinking about too. I was suprised to see -yet another- thread about this subject.

Bottom line: keep sending it in until you get one that you like. At that point you have a nice monitor for a reasonable price + time investment.

I got one october A02 and it has back lighting issues, got a replacment November A02 and its sooo bad. i gotta send back the replacement monitor and try to get that A03 revision. does anyone know if you can request a A03 revision monitor?

I'm on my second, has same borderline unacceptable backlight issues as first one (i.e. unnoticeable, except in DVD dark scenes in a completely black room, or during boot up in a completely dark room). What bothers me more is that the DVI input hasn't worked on either monitor. I have tried the second monitor on a friends DVI input which I know is good, and it didn't work either. Has anyone else had DVI problems? VGA is just too fuzzy.

Both of mine have been Oct 05 A02 revisions. Customer service lines here in Germany are pretty good, no waiting, but having to be home to receive a new monitor and then again on a separate day to wait for UPS to pick up the faulty one is pretty crap.

I want an A03!!

I just recieved my 2005FPW. Wasn't expecting it until Monday but I guess due to xmas being so close, FedEx is delivering on Saturday's for free to try and get packages to people on time for xmas. Anyway, it's a Rev A03 and has zero dead pixels. There is a very minor backlight issue where on a black screen theres a diagonal line from upper left to lower right of uneveness. It's not major though. It's so minor I may not RMA it. I still haven't decided yet. I'll try to get a pic posted later tonight when it gets dark out.

[edit]
I was able to get some pics that are fairly accurate. They were taken with a cell phone camera so not the best quality. Also it is slightly exagerated by the cell phone camera.

Pic take straight on
LCD_straight.jpg

Pic take from an angle
lcd_angle.jpg

Back