82 Year Old Great-Grandmother Accused Of Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although it's obvious she didn't, I honestly wouldn't care if this woman DID illegally download something, she doesn't deserve to be hassled like this over a crappy Shia LeBeouf movie.

The letter, received last month, accused Mrs Drew of infringing copyright. It stated she could avoid legal action by accepting liability and paying a settlement of £600. It is the second letter the company has sent to her following initial correspondence in November 2015. Mrs Drew said: "I'm upset to have been accused of something I didn't do... how many other people has this happened to?"

In the directors own words, "they don't actually make a demand for money". Then why does #3 demand payment? Sounds like a bunch of scam artists grasping at any hanging fruit they can find. Scum of the earth.

I don't know the laws over there, but I wish our government would enforce the laws on penalties for false copyright infringement accusations and extortion.

In the directors own words, "they don't actually make a demand for money". Then why does #3 demand payment? Sounds like a bunch of scam artists grasping at any hanging fruit they can find. Scum of the earth.

#3 does not demand money. #3 is an option following options #1 and #2 which outline for the individual their legal options to resolve the issue.

And on the one hand I fully understand that this old woman probably did not do anything wrong other than fail to employ a qualified individual to set up her home computer systems. In all likelihood one of two things happened, someone else in the family used her computer or wireless connection to watch the movie or someone near by used her open and unsecured wireless connection to download the movie. Whoever this person was also had their system setup as a seed, which is typically the default setting and something the uninitiated usually fail to turn off.

Remember, she is being accused of illegally sharing the content which can happen even if the person isn't home, they only need to leave their computer on.

In short, as bad as it sounds, as the owner, Granny is as guilty of not securing her network allowing others to misuse it, as people who fail to lock their car doors are of giving thieves opportunity.

Now before you fly off the handle, I will call to your attention a scene from Full Metal Jacket, a Jelly Doughnut found in an unsecured foot locker, and one Drill Sergeant being very unhappy that Pvt. Pyle had allowed thieves to exist by failing to lock his foot locker.

BTW, this is the Military's default mode for dealing with physical security and it is an inexcusable address to fail to properly secure equipment, doors, access to anything sensitive or valuable. HUMVEEs have chains through steering wheels with padlocks on them because they don't have ignition keys, tanks have padlocks on their hatches.

Just saying.

While I tend to agree with you on "not securing her network", I would assume she doesn't have much money (or sense) so got a nephew to setup it up.

I don't see what make-believe or the military has to do with this civil law discussion?

BTW you don't get torrents without seeds, so do your part ;)

Umm, there is nothing make believe about a real line in a real movie that accurately reflects real attitudes in the real military that accurately reflect real attitudes in the legal world related to the real actions or inn-actions of real people facing real legal issues.

Does that help with your perception? :D

BTW you don't get torrents without seeds, so do your part ;)

You do your part, I'll pay the $20-$30 bucks for the BlueRay and keep my Netflix sub in order and neither the RIAA or the Sheriff's Office will come a knock'in on my door.

Wow, up to their old tricks huh? I remember the RIAA in the early 00s going after a grandmother for pirating a gangsta rap album. I can't even remember if she had a computer or not.

Makes me think of...
It doesn't matter if you're a grandma,
or a 7 year old girl,
They'll treat you like the evil hard-bitten criminal scum you are!
- Weird Al

She should be water boarded then placed on the rack, these crimes must be thwarted. Or they could just tell her to secure her network and call it a day. They spent more finding her than the entire movie was worth.

Back