VR Simulator With Oculus Rift / Full Set of Controls

HardOCP News

[H] News
This video of a guy playing War Thunder using an Oculus Rift and a full set of flight controls really shows off the power of VR. The side by side comparisons are the best part.

That looks really sweet.

But, the guy must have thousands invested.

My wife would leave me.:eek:

Nice setup -- I'd love to have something similar for car racing.

As nerdy as I am - (and as single as I am) when I first saw him showing his setup in the living room, the first thing that popped into my mind was "this guy must not have girls over that often" lol

Nice setup -- I'd love to have something similar for car racing.

As nerdy as I am - (and as single as I am) when I first saw him showing his setup in the living room, the first thing that popped into my mind was "this guy must not have girls over that often" lol

His setup actually isn't really all that expensive or elaborate. You don't have to devote yourself to a life of celibacy to buy a cheap flight trainer and a DK2 to play around with. It seems like he could afford the really high-end stuff without much effort, anyway, judging by the rest of his channel. The guy has a Tesla and flies for fun.

His setup actually isn't really all that expensive or elaborate. You don't have to devote yourself to a life of celibacy to buy a cheap flight trainer and a DK2 to play around with. It seems like he could afford the really high-end stuff without much effort, anyway, judging by the rest of his channel. The guy has a Tesla and flies for fun.

I just meant from the standpoint of "all that stuff" in his living room... my experience with women in general has taught me that if you have a bunch of weird random computer shit all over the place, it's unfamiliar and makes them uncomfortable or question you.

I'm currently more single than Kraft cheese and no plans to change it... I'm totally jelly of the guy if he has a tesla and gets to play with an Oculus rift :)

I just meant from the standpoint of "all that stuff" in his living room... my experience with women in general has taught me that if you have a bunch of weird random computer shit all over the place, it's unfamiliar and makes them uncomfortable or question you.

I'm currently more single than Kraft cheese and no plans to change it... I'm totally jelly of the guy if he has a tesla and gets to play with an Oculus rift :)

I guess if he's rich, he can at least have one room in the house for all his gear. I'm sure his wife can come to terms with this. :p

Why the hell is he using TrackIR with the Oculus? It not only has better tracking but it's BUILT IN!

Otherwise, decent setup.

Aces High is by far the best air combat simulator but its graphics sucks. Gameplay wise it beats war thunder hands down.

The term 'Simulator' is being thrown around here pretty loosely, try DCS if you want a real combat sim.

He isn't. He was using TrackIR with an ordinary microphone headset.

he was wearing the rift and using TrackIR , either he had an older DK that didn't have motion tracking, or he just prefers trackir solution.

Virtual reality, another fad like all the others. I have seen it come and go but, so far, it always goes.

The term 'Simulator' is being thrown around here pretty loosely, try DCS if you want a real combat sim.

he was wearing the rift and using TrackIR , either he had an older DK that didn't have motion tracking, or he just prefers trackir solution.

For new stuff, yes. However, I remember the Falcon 4.0 re released in the early 2000's that was definitely a realistic simulator. You could even start on the tarmac with everything off and go through the startup sequence. (I tried that but, I did not have the time to learn all that stuff. :D)

I like his setup but know nothing about, where can one get that?!

One thing though, even with all the great gear, that slight lag he talks about with VR is what still kills the emersion for me. He says it kinda disappears for him, but it still does not for me and probably a lot of others. Especially for competition play.

One thing though, even with all the great gear, that slight lag he talks about with VR is what still kills the emersion for me. He says it kinda disappears for him, but it still does not for me and probably a lot of others. Especially for competition play.

Well, the DK2 is only 75 hz and Oculus have stated that their added input lag is around 20 ms or so. Pretty slow, I agree, but the resolution is what kills it for me, at least with the DK2. A PenTile display at 1080p isn't meant to be looked at only an inch away from the eye.

Virtual reality, another fad like all the others. I have seen it come and go but, so far, it always goes.

What isn't a fad? Your argument is fairly bland in that respect. The fact is people want VR to work and they want it to be good. And with every iteration it does "get better". Will this be the holy grail...no...but neither is any video game I play right now either on PC or console.

This comment is pretty short sighted, as are all the VR comments like this. Yes, it has failed before, but that doesn't mean it will fail this time. Take it from someone that has played with all the VR tech ever made, this iteration is by far the best, and has a fair chance of taking off. I am excited that more and more companies are getting into it, competition is a good thing.

Of course, its going to be an early adopter tech for at least a year, if not years, the GPU requirements alone eliminate most of the market (I am including consoles). That being said, if they can iron out the kinks over the next 3 years, the technology will be ready for the next generation of consoles. If the consoles are ready will be a different story...

My past girlfriends and fiancee have had no problem with my computer nonsense.

The lag he speaks of is the in-game pilot animations when the controls are manipulated, not the actual gameplay/head tracking

I think the lag he was talking about was only particular to that game. The dev's animation doesnt quite sync up with the throttle/input controls. So basically when you turn the yolk in real life the game shows it like .5 sec behind. This shouldnt have any bearing on actual VR display lag or anything nausea inducing like that.

Considering he built it out of copper, you are correct. What, this guy never heard of pvc pipe? :rolleyes:

Copper pipe is pretty easy to work with once you've done it before. I helped my dad re-pipe our house when I was a kid, then, 30 years later did my own with no assistance. Measure, cutting with a pipe cutter gives a nice clean cut, no plastic crap flying all over the place, clean up the soldering surfaces (fine sandpaper, steel wool, emery cloth, etc), flux and solder. It really is easy, and, firmer than PVC. If you want shiny, you can always go with brass everything and polish to a bright shine, then lacquer.

He had PVC before he switched to the copper tubing. I don't really think it looks any better, and I'd prefer aluminum extrusion myself. Less give than plastic, though, like nightfly said.

Damn, that's amazing. For all the VR naysayers, I say, insert Ron Paul "it's happening" gif here!

Copper pipe is pretty easy to work with once you've done it before. I helped my dad re-pipe our house when I was a kid, then, 30 years later did my own with no assistance. Measure, cutting with a pipe cutter gives a nice clean cut, no plastic crap flying all over the place, clean up the soldering surfaces (fine sandpaper, steel wool, emery cloth, etc), flux and solder. It really is easy, and, firmer than PVC. If you want shiny, you can always go with brass everything and polish to a bright shine, then lacquer.

I dare you to compare price.

My past girlfriends and fiancee have had no problem with my computer nonsense.

Lucky you, when I got my first computer my GF got really pissed that I spent so much time on it, she even tried to get me to get rid of it. My wallet has complained the most though.

Lucky you, when I got my first computer my GF got really pissed that I spent so much time on it, she even tried to get me to get rid of it. My wallet has complained the most though.

You over spent ($$ wallet) then spent too much time on it to the level your GF got really pissed? WTF is wrong with you bro? Are you hoping two wrongs makes a right?
Is your goal to be poor and lonely?
I just do not understand this level of nerd culture.
NC is the death of America.

Back