Dish Faces Up To $24B In Fines Over Robocalls

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dish Network is facing fines of up to $24 billion for making more than 55 million illegal robocalls. Yikes! That is a lot of money. :eek:

In a trial that opened Tuesday, four states and the U.S. Department of Justice are seeking more than $24 billion in fines from Douglas County-based Dish Network Corp. over illegal telemarketing calls. U.S. District Judge Sue Myerscough in Springfield, Ill., is hearing the case without a jury. She already has determined that Dish made more than 55 million illegal calls. Now she will decide how many bad calls Dish is responsible for and whether it knowingly broke the law.

Damn haven't received a single call from them, however the ones I do get it "Attention utility customer..."

Great, to offset this they will jack all their packages up by probably 20%.
I actually don't recall ever getting any robocall from them.

Knowingly broke the law? Free pass if the ' company' didn't know? I here I thought is didn't worked like that.

Knowingly broke the law? Free pass if the ' company' didn't know? I here I thought is didn't worked like that.

No, that only applies to us lowly citizens. Corps and Gob'ment officials gets a pass if they don't know the laws they broke.

No, that only applies to us lowly citizens. Corps and Gob'ment officials gets a pass if they don't know the laws they broke.

Yeah, some company chump says.. But but I didn't know!!! Ohhh OK OK, the fine is now 10k and don't do it again.

Doubt they will get away completely off the hook as they already have paid for part of this. If you read the article back in 2009 they paid 1 state $5.99 million due to complaints, now all the other states are coming together to file the same charges against them and they are finally going to trail.

My guess if that they might cut down the number some from the $24B. My guess is that not knowing goes something like this, they probably purchase list of numbers from some 3rd party that generates marketing list, they do so thinking the company is only including people that are not on the do not call list and that this list is truly one that they can call every person on. They end up calling people that are on the do not call list due to the company not filtering like they assumed they did. There are times that a person or a company can do something wrong without knowing in which case you get in less trouble than if you fully knew. Lets say you buy a used item at some store that resells items (lets say a used game from gamestop just as an example) and it turns out that game was stolen and sold to them meaning you just purchased a stolen item. That is different than you actually buying from a person on a street corner that is know to sell stolen items.

Does anyone here actually use Dish?

When I happen to be watching television in passing (stream life, baby!), I chuckle at those commercials that claim Dish is technologically superior to cable. The only person who I know uses Dish is my aunt and she is not very technologically keen. On a day with thunderstorms or a few clouds, their precious football goes out and then they're stuck watching recordings.

It is really telling when you have to hound people with telemarketing and commercials that tell outrageous lies and lure them to your service on how "good" it is. :rolleyes:

I expect the next generation of commercials to perhaps have them tell us condescendingly how their service is better than fiber optic.

Damn haven't received a single call from them, however the ones I do get it "Attention utility customer..."

Same here. Tons of Robocalls, but don't even remember getting one from Dish.

Now if they could sue all the companies that keep calling me about "solar panels" or "energy saving upgrades" and get them to stop calling......

Same here. Tons of Robocalls, but don't even remember getting one from Dish.

Now if they could sue all the companies that keep calling me about "solar panels" or "energy saving upgrades" and get them to stop calling......

Article states that this happen about 10 years ago, they have changed their policy since then.

Back