Time Warner Cable Raises Rates After NY Approves Merger

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just two weeks after state regulators in New York signed off on the pending $55 billion merger of Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, the company announced price hikes across the board for most of its services.

Time Warner’s standard TV package will increase from $76.99 a month to $78.99 a month. The TWC Sports Pass, a premium sports tier that is added on, is rising from $8.99 a month to $10 a month. There are also new prices for the company’s basic and standard Internet services, which will now be $49.99 a month and $59.99 a month, although it is unclear what the current prices are for those offerings. The cost of a Digital HD, DVR or HD DVR set top box and remote is rising from $6.98 a month to $8.50 a month.

The best ISP and still worth it with the price increase as long as TWC keep the NO DATACAPS policy.

What a D move yet no competition in the marketplace this will keep happening

didnt the regulators see this one coming? how could they let this happned (the merger that is)? this is just pathetic on the regulators part.

The best ISP and still worth it with the price increase as long as TWC keep the NO DATACAPS policy.

Which won't last very long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I know a guy in Germany...he has a 200MB/20MB service starting this week for what amounts to $40USD...with a 60GB daily cap.

didnt the regulators see this one coming? how could they let this happned (the merger that is)? this is just pathetic on the regulators part.

They got some serious $peech from TWC

My comcast bill just went up about that much... maybe related more to the new year than the merger?

fuck internet in America...such a scam and there is nothing we can do about it

Which won't last very long. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I know a guy in Germany...he has a 200MB/20MB service starting this week for what amounts to $40USD...with a 60GB daily cap.

They got some serious $peech from TWC

Crap 60 Gig a day that's 1.8 Terabytes a month. I would say that's very plenty.....

fuck internet in America...such a scam and there is nothing we can do about it
You f*king got that right. I have TWC and rave about it for now because it has been and continues to be a great ISP for me. However, you want to know what my only alternative if TWC becomes too expensive? 4mps DSL from AT&T. This has been the case since I moved to this city over 15 years ago and it's a fairly large city in the suburbs.

I have 100MB/100MB with no data caps at all for the equivalent of $31/month. I could have 500MB/500MB for $69 a month but I don't really need it so I'd rather keep the money. Now that's not typical for Canada, but at least some places here there is enough competition to keep the telecoms honest.

That is a kind of small increase. It could have just been time to adjust prices. I was thinking more like $10 increase, but only $1....

Australians read this post and laugh. At you, not with you.

Because their entire county shares a 5Mbps connection to the rest of the world? ;)

this is pretty much an across the board rate increase, just got the info at the ISP i work at last week

I'm pretty sure they're raising rates everywhere. Sounds like they delayed them in NY until the merger went through.

I'm pretty sure they're raising rates everywhere. Sounds like they delayed them in NY until the merger went through.

I believe it. They're probably doing this to squeeze what they can out of everyone before Google finishes their fiber infrastructure and completely destroys the cable internet market by undercutting their prices. It's only a matter of time.

I believe it. They're probably doing this to squeeze what they can out of everyone before Google finishes their fiber infrastructure and completely destroys the cable internet market by undercutting their prices. It's only a matter of time.

I don't know about NY, but where I'm at, they recently increased my bandwidth by 4x, so $2.00 increase isn't a big deal.

My comcast bill just went up about that much... maybe related more to the new year than the merger?

Contract negotiations with the channel owners happens every January, my employer, Directv just saw the same hike. They hike equipment around the same time just to get it out of the way and calm some of the bitching early in the year. Oh what a joyous time of year to be a customer service representative. :p

I expect Netflix and other streaming services to increase in a few months as well. Seems to follow the trend.

im pretty fortunate to have either FIOS, TW or ATT DSL here so prices are pretty good. $39.99 for 200/20 but thats on "negotiated" price and it may go up come March.

Welcome to an Oligarchy, fellas.

Or just maybe it was a normally planned price increase ... Cable ISPs have employees and infrastructure costs just like other companies ... employees expect pay raises and infrastructure needs replacing and upgrading periodically ... these costs will generally be passed on to the customer of the service

Google may have started at a cheaper price where they have launched but it is not reasonable to expect them to stay at that price forever or to lower prices over time ... Google like everyone else will incrementally increase their prices over time to reflect their ongoing costs ... that is just good business and not some nefarious scheme

I get uncapped bandwidth (usually about 600 down, 400 up, varies each day) for 100/mo, no data cap from Cincinnati Bell.

No one raises rates faster than cable/internet providers. They would have done it either way. Comcast has started raising fees rather than package rates most likely so they can get around people who have locked in rates with contracts.

/would love to glimpse this industry's profit margin. I'd probably end up hating the industry players even more.

Who thought rates would go down after a merger? Really?

Higher rates mean higher taxes. Of COURSE they approved it.

They had to increase revenue so that tax revenue would go up. It's part of the deal so that the merger would go through. My opinion. :D

I have just TWC internet. They got me by the balls @ $60+ a month for 20/5 :rolleyes:. No Fios available in my area.

In the process of moving anyways.

With the Government, what seems to be the solution can be perverted to be part of the problem with a few Crony dollars.

You do understand this is BECAUSE of the regulators right? Why is regulator capture so hard for people to understand?

I like my 50/5 connection but, even I have to pay $65 a month and that is a reduced, temporary rate. :( Fios is doa in my area and DSL is slower and you have to have a landline just to use it.

I like my 50/5 connection but, even I have to pay $65 a month and that is a reduced, temporary rate. :( Fios is doa in my area and DSL is slower and you have to have a landline just to use it.

I am on TWC 50/5 $65 promo rate as well. Can't complain either, I go way over 400GB of data on most months so I like not having a cap.

I am on TWC 50/5 $65 promo rate as well. Can't complain either, I go way over 400GB of data on most months so I like not having a cap.

Damn, perhaps I shouldn't complaint then, I pay 48 for the same.

Or just maybe it was a normally planned price increase ... Cable ISPs have employees and infrastructure costs just like other companies ... employees expect pay raises and infrastructure needs replacing and upgrading periodically ... these costs will generally be passed on to the customer of the service

Google may have started at a cheaper price where they have launched but it is not reasonable to expect them to stay at that price forever or to lower prices over time ... Google like everyone else will incrementally increase their prices over time to reflect their ongoing costs ... that is just good business and not some nefarious scheme

Google's pricing is quite profitable. People look at the top line number and think Ooh Gb internet, but Google knows that very few people will ever use 1Gb. Most websites can't even serve that much bandwidth. Hell, I've got 200mb, and most websites aren' serving me at anything close to that speed.

We've got a Gb plan and once you know you'll get enough customers to justify the infrastructure, it's very profitable.

There's a reason why Chatanooga doesn't discount slower connections by much (i think it's roughly 10 bucks for a fraction of their symmetric Gb plan). The reality is they want you to get the big pipe, because it doesn't cost much more.

Damn, perhaps I shouldn't complaint then, I pay 48 for the same.

57 for 200/20 (or is it 30?) from TWC. They'll probably jack it up after a year. I'm not sure if threatening to leave will get them to come back down or not.

57 for 200/20 (or is it 30?) from TWC. They'll probably jack it up after a year. I'm not sure if threatening to leave will get them to come back down or not.
Yeah. The first year is the promotion rate. After that it's back to regular price of $65/m. I have done my share of threatening to leave but they have always called my bluff. They used to give discounts for longtime subscribers too but not anymore. I went from 300mbps down to 100mbps to keep the cost down. $75/m is way too much for what I want to pay.

Back