Intel Welcomes Altera Employees

HardOCP News

[H] News
On Tuesday, January 12, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich visited Altera headquarters in San Jose, CA and formally welcomed hundreds of new employees into Intel. The (former) Altera employees received new Intel badges and are now officially part of Intel's Programmable Solutions Group. A new sign was placed on the property designating the 101 Innovation Drive site as Intel's newest Silicon Valley campus. Intel announced earlier that it has completed the acquisition of Altera, a leading provider of field-programmable gate array (FPGA) technology. The acquisition complements Intel's leading-edge product portfolio and enables new classes of products in the high-growth data center and Internet of Things (IoT) market segments.

Didn't they have big layoff a few months ago like in June?

You mean http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2015/08/intel_layoffs_former_employees.html ?

Curious to see how the future holds for Intel. They don't quite have the brand recognition they used to. I know when I started working there back in the day it meant something. Now in my mind at least I lump them in with older companies in decline like IBM. If ARM every makes inroads into servers, they truly are screwed. Nobody has cracked that yet, but enough companies are working on it.

Next year: 100s of employees are being laid off including ( that means mostly) former Altera employees , because of duplication and structural inefficiencies.
The move is hailed as a positive one to guarantee revenue and growth.
Senior blah blah blah at Intel said that for a year the acquisition has been going well,and its time to move tomorrow efficient operations Intel to meet the expectations of our shareholders.
Reality: employees were evaluated using forced ranking and the bottom was culled without much thought.

Compared to who? Who else does what Intel does better?

Nobody makes better x86 chips than them. Nobody makes better high-end server chips than them.

Their fabs are losing ground though. TSMC and Samsung are nipping at their heals. Once they lose that I wouldn't be surprised to see more competition. They could easily lose the low end data center to arm chips. For consumers I think the x86 needs are slowly diminishing. It's not going to happen overnight but they are doing themselves any favors either.

They are betting a lot of internet of things (IOT), but honestly I don't see why you would want or need x86 for that. Of course people have been calling for the doom of x86 forever. So who knows how it will all go down.

Back