Blind Gamer Completes Game After 5 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember Terry Garrett, the blind guy that started playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time back in 2011? Well, he finally beat the game this week. The video below is from 2011 and explains how he can play video games even though he's blind.

He's better than my wife and she can see, trust me.. she sees all.

I wonder if it's even any fun playing a game blind.

I wonder if it's even any fun playing a game blind.

this is what I was about to say. It is cool that he can play through it but how is it enjoyable if you have to trial and error EVERYTHING and then memorize it and then hope RNG doesn't screw you over.

Also...

you know what would end up happening to me...I would end up saving when I meant to load.

Also...

you know what would end up happening to me...I would end up saving when I meant to load.

Yea that would be me also, I've done that a few times, and then be like 'no, oh no, oh f*ck no, NOOOOOOOOO!' lol

this is what I was about to say. It is cool that he can play through it but how is it enjoyable if you have to trial and error EVERYTHING and then memorize it and then hope RNG doesn't screw you over.

It must be enjoyable to him otherwise it's unlikely he would have put so much time and effort into it.

Yea, I messed up a good game just the other day.

I Dl'd and started playing Space Hulk a few days ago. On one mission I had a Genestealer kill one of my mele Sergeants, the one with duel Lightning Claws. I was upset, but I happened to have a recent save. Ever since then I keep saving all the time. Then I figured out I could redo any action including a missed shot. Within a day, I lost interest. That's what cheating does, it takes the risk of failure out of the game, which destroys the fun, which propels people to dump that game, or it can provide less mature individuals with the boredom they to cheat in multiplayer as well.

Hmm,
If you are totally blind a good "computer game" would be like Zork; all text based.
Just have reader software read the screen for you. In a game like that you are not handicapped by your blindness.

I wonder if there would be a decent market for blind games. You'd think the development costs would be lower, since it's not like developers would need to make worthwhile graphics (maybe a simple image so non-blind gamers can observe).

The game could be developed around audio and touch (haptics, etc).

Heck, even an action game in the vein of Evolve where the blind gamer played as a monster and had to capture/eat other players by listening for their heart beats, footsteps, etc, would be pretty cool.

Back