Valve Explains Account Issues On Christmas Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve announced today that about 34,000 Steam members were able to view incorrectly cached pages which contained sensitive personal information of other Steam users, including billing and email addresses. According to the press release, the glitch was triggered by a denial-of-service attack on Christmas day.

Early Christmas morning (Pacific Standard Time), the Steam Store was the target of a DoS attack which prevented the serving of store pages to users. Attacks against the Steam Store, and Steam in general, are a regular occurrence that Valve handles both directly and with the help of partner companies, and typically do not impact Steam users. During the Christmas attack, traffic to the Steam store increased 2000% over the average traffic during the Steam Sale.

Seems to be fairly mild breach (nothing like the PSN breach from a few years back). This Christmas, afaik, didn't appear to have huge outages like the previous year. Seems like the 'hackers' plan of getting Sony and MS to increase their security has worked.

What stupid hacker group would DoS Steam? It's the savior for PC gaming. Love it.

According to this statement, Valve places the blame on a third-party who handles their web caching.

Valve doesn't do anything in-house anymore. They outsource everything from their customer service, to their game development to their web hosting and management of their CDN. Hell, they don't even make virtual hats anymore - they let modders do that for them.

And when problems arise they have an army of apologists who take to the Internet to defend them. Valve has a de facto outsourced PR firm who works for free.

You have to admit Valve has a sweetheart deal. Sit back, relax and rake in hundreds of millions of dollars while doing jack shit.

PsyKo[H];1042059196 said:
Yeah, because that was their intent all along... :rolleyes:

Obviously that was just a BS excuse to make themselves look ethical while doing who know what. But regardless of intent hacks have a way of making things more secure. Until the next time at least.

they sell Steam keys, so no they are not competing with Steam

You are wrong and i'll give you an example of why you are wrong. When GTAV for PC first went up for pre-order I first looked at the steam store and saw the game was $60.00 there. Out of curiosity I compared that price against amazon.com's price and I happen to notice the version sold by Amazon.com came with a huge awesome world map, where as the Steam version didn't. If I didn't find the Amazon version of GTAV with a map, I would have simply bought it off of Steam for the ease of having all of my pc games in one place. Steam didn't get any money off of this sale because I bought it from their competitor. Don't lie.

You are wrong and i'll give you an example of why you are wrong. When GTAV for PC first went up for pre-order I first looked at the steam store and saw the game was $60.00 there. Out of curiosity I compared that price against amazon.com's price and I happen to notice the version sold by Amazon.com came with a huge awesome world map, where as the Steam version didn't. If I didn't find the Amazon version of GTAV with a map, I would have simply bought it off of Steam for the ease of having all of my pc games in one place. Steam didn't get any money off of this sale because I bought it from their competitor. Don't lie.

That is an exception, not the rule. Amazon sell whatever they are sent by the distributor. With the exception of Ubisoft and EA products (as they use their own store fronts) 95% of anything they sell will be Steam integrated.

I can't say if there is money exchanged between Valve and a Developer for Steam integration (similar to a console certification), however the moment Amazon on sells something with Steam hooks to a user who did not have a Steam account at that point they've essentially just provided Valve with another customer.

That is an exception, not the rule. Amazon sell whatever they are sent by the distributor. With the exception of Ubisoft and EA products (as they use their own store fronts) 95% of anything they sell will be Steam integrated.

I can't say if there is money exchanged between Valve and a Developer for Steam integration (similar to a console certification), however the moment Amazon on sells something with Steam hooks to a user who did not have a Steam account at that point they've essentially just provided Valve with another customer.

But the fact that there are exceptions out there as you just said means Amazon.com is a Competitor to Steam as I have already thoroughly explained.

Back