Internet-Connected Homes Open The Door To Hackers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who is tech savvy enough to have an internet-connected home but dumb enough to leave it totally accessible to anyone with an internet connection?

Lakhani, a security researcher at Fortinet, accomplished the hack without any coding skills, though he has those in spades. He merely went to Shodan.io, a website where anyone can find a huge trove of Internet-connected devices, from baby monitors to cars, cameras and even traffic lights.

ummmm, duh

the internet of crap is a bomb waiting to go off

Security is always going to be an issue with IoT. It's going to require constant attention, patches, updates, etc. to keep security at it's best (and even then, it's not going to be perfect). If you're automating your home, assume that someone else can take control at any time.

I think that most people wouldn't want to break into my home network and play with shit. But, I know the security could be broken fairly easily if they wanted to. I wonder if you could do some kind of white list for which devices can control the home... Say, a trusted cell phone, laptop, or PC.

and so it goes, there should be no surprise.
Its all down hill from here

This is my surprised face.

No really. Shocked that IoT is a huge security hole.

Your detention assignment is to write the following on the chalkboard 100 times:

There are many things the internet shouldn't be used for.

There are many things the internet shouldn't be used for.

There are many things the internet shouldn't be used for...

Back