Space Debris: 1957 - 2015

Neat video, but misleading. You could launch into space a million times and never hit one of these objects. I suggest playing Kerbal Space Program if you really want to get a sense of the scale of things and how hard it is to intercept an object in space, and that's only 1:10 scale.

1100 active satellites, 2600 dead ones. Some one needs to go pick up their trash....

1100 active satellites, 2600 dead ones. Some one needs to go pick up their trash....

5.jpg

If the dots representing debris in the video we to scale with the planet, we probably would not see any debris in the video.

kerbal space program is a awsome game. had it for a couple years now

So I see a new career as a space salvager. That must be $billion$ of recyclable materials.

Neat video, but misleading. You could launch into space a million times and never hit one of these objects. I suggest playing Kerbal Space Program if you really want to get a sense of the scale of things and how hard it is to intercept an object in space, and that's only 1:10 scale.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, the size of those dots compared to the size of the "space trash" makes things look exceedingly crowded up there.

in a few hundred years or so, all that debris will form a dyson sphere around Earth. it will block some sunlight and cosmic radiation, negating some global warming.

That is nothing compared to the debris left on the other side of mars. Damn Ceres and its mess

Back